Shipping hand guns out of state to a gunsmith

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I’ve never done this, so any advice would be appreciated. I’ll be sending a pair of pistols to a gunsmith in MD for an action job; I know that since I’m an unlicensed individual, USPS will not ship the pistols. The UPS hub, if I’m not mistaken, is off 61st between 129th and Garnett, but I’ve heard sketchy stories about their service. The FedEx hub that I’ve been to was out by the airport, and I had to deal with an intercom on a security gate to get to the facility itself. Since I’m deaf, the intercom wasn’t going to work, so I had to wait about 15 minutes before a FedEx employee walked past and I got him to buzz me through. This was about ten years ago; is that intercom still the case today?

So I’ll need a copy of the recipient’s FFL for the carrier employee handling the package at the counter, and I’ll need to include a copy of the FFL of the transfer agent receiving the package back here. Do I seal the box before I go there, or will they need to inspect the contents? Anything else I should know? Thanks.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used an FFL to ship a handgun out of state to a smith before...think it cost me $20 or so, but was worth it to make my life less of a hassle. Something to consider.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought about going through a FFL, but BANG doesn’t ship out, and 2A charges $40 per firearm. I haven’t dealt with any other FFL’s in the Tulsa area - anyone reputable that would do the job for less?

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last time I shipped a gun to a FFL, it was packaged and pre-labeled. Took it to UPS Store, handed it to the owner and told him it was a hand gun. No problem!

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i spoke with a custom builder of 1911's about refinishing a pistol, they told me to ship it next day air, no ffl involved, they ship it straight back to me with no ffl involved. i relocated and am waiting for my ffl to be released to the new address, but i'm going to ship the pistol prior to that.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No intercom at fedex tul. But I bet it is gonna cost $75 to overnight them both in one box.
UPS would be prob about $50
I guess Patrick isn't shipping out anymore? That use to be the best, cheapest, easiest way to do it.
Next best may be try fatboys?
I Wouldn't seal the box but bring your tape and stuff and package it like they are gonna be throwing it across the room because they do. Use extra bubble wrap and paper inside, and tape multiple Times in all
Directions outside.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Sig went out via the Fed Ex at 71st and Garnett. No issues, no questions.

The UPS Hub you speak of is pretty craptastic. It gets the job done but the people are pretty underwhelming. I shipped that can of AP I got from you via them to a buddy in FL.

Latest posts

Top Bottom