Shotgun HELP!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't get the Benelli hype. Over priced, barrels are expensive, "inertia drive" kicks like a mofo, sights are hard/expensive to change.

I have an 11-87 premier and I've hunted with it in all sorts of horrendous conditions without a hiccup. Only thing I don't like about it is it is a bit heavy.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hunted with is one thing. Shot a lot is entirely different. If you ever start to shoot your 11-87/1100 a lot you will soon be the owner of a 5 gallon bucket full of broken parts. Action bars, main spring guides, gas system parts numerous o rings, firing pins, bolt, trigger parts etc. Now what is a lot??? Most folks consider an 1100 worn out around 35,000 - 50,000 rounds...along with the bucket of broken parts that they own.

Now I do shoot my M1 Field just a bit ( bought in 94), it is now approching the 85,000 round mark. To date I have worn out one bolt carrier, and one extractor pin....thats it!! NOTHING else has broken or worn out, and it is still running just fine. It is light and much quicker target to target than an 1100/11-87. Now none of this mean I would buy a Benelli just to sit in the corner of the bedroom, there are many good choices for far less $$, but if you wanted to know the "hype"....there it is!

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hunted with is one thing. Shot a lot is entirely different. If you ever start to shoot your 11-87/1100 a lot you will soon be the owner of a 5 gallon bucket full of broken parts. Action bars, main spring guides, gas system parts numerous o rings, firing pins, bolt, trigger parts etc. Now what is a lot??? Most folks consider an 1100 worn out around 35,000 - 50,000 rounds...along with the bucket of broken parts that they own.

Now I do shoot my M1 Field just a bit ( bought in 94), it is now approching the 85,000 round mark. To date I have worn out one bolt carrier, and one extractor pin....thats it!! NOTHING else has broken or worn out, and it is still running just fine. It is light and much quicker target to target than an 1100/11-87. Now none of this mean I would buy a Benelli just to sit in the corner of the bedroom, there are many good choices for far less $$, but if you wanted to know the "hype"....there it is!

I bought my 11-87 used around the same time. I grew up in the Texas panhandle shooting shotguns. It's what we did. I don't think I'm near 50 thou, but I never really added up the cases of shells we shot at dove, quail, and pheasant every year. Not to mention the skeet days before the seasons started. At that, I've never bought a single part for this shotgun other than different chokes.

I also have a 40 year old 1100 20 ga that has been around the block a few times. I bought 2 small parts for it totaling up at about 5 dollars when I bought it.

I'm glad you're happy with yours, but it sounds like you've been reading the Benelli forums a little too often to me.

Don't get me wrong, they're great guns, but over priced, expensive barrels, kick like crazy, expensive sight upgrades. There are several options that are as good if not better. I don't think you even get close to your moneys worth from one.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

!

Hmmm..... been shooting my 1100 since 1980, at trap, and skeet ranges, as well as my go to hunting gun, and have never had to replace anything but the buna O ring. I'm betting there has been more than 50,000 rounds thru it.
I trust it so much, it sits beside my bed as my SD weapon of choice.
We have had this discussion before on the benefits of using a pump vs a self loader, but I stand by my choice of a self loader as if you take a hit that takes out an arm, you can still return fire with multiple shots with a self loader.

Latest posts

Top Bottom