Shotgun HELP!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Winchester SX1,SX2, FN SLP guns seem to do OK. I know the army has a couple and they have broken some stuff, but in general they seem better than the Remingtons in the breakage and malfunction department. I do know they are somewhat spring sensitive and when they go out of balance between the mag spring and the main spring they like to jam, but the same can be said of any makers mag springs.

The real down side of the FN/SX line of guns is the design of their shell lifter, it looks just like a "roast fork" and the end of the tines are SHARP! I know a local shooter that had to go to the ER after a real spirited reload and got his thumb stuck up past the ends of the lifter and decided to just yank it back out...stiches and OUCH!

I also was doing a shotgun demo for a department here locally and a well know instructor that had brought the guns to demo got one caught on his thumb. We had to take the tube apart and spray WD-40 down the tube to get his thumb free without damage. Now this little problem can be fixed by welding up the lifter and making it square so there is no room to snag your thumb, and if you get one I would sure have that done! Now in all fairness Benelli's lifter is somewhat similar, it will pinch and hurt, and I weld mine up, but it has never done the damage that a stock FN can do.

Personally I don't really like the FN, It feels like grabbing a 2X4 and it is heavy. It does have lighter recoil than the Benelli, and the sights are good from the factory, But I have just spent way too much time behind a Benelli. I wouldn't buy one just because I said not to, the best optic division 3-gunner in the Nation Daniel Horner of the A.M.U. unit uses one and it sure works for him....it is just too different from what I am used to. KurtM

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a reason why pro shooters and outfiters in argintina and Mexico who shoot 1000 s of shells a week don't shoot Remington 11-87/1100 they shoot benelli

C'mon guys - Budman-Bill wasn't asking for a gun to compete with. The gun he listed was a semi-auto that was in the $400 range.

I don't personally have anything against what Kurt or anyone else has to say with respect to what works when thousands and thousands of rounds are put through it, but for a HD gun that you won't compete with (and quite frankly 90% of shooters on this board who will shoot it less than 100rds), I'd say that a Remington 11-87 is fine.

I duck hunt with my 11-87 Premier and it has seen well more than a thousand rounds and has been wet and dirty enough that I didn't think it would work - and yet it kept on working with no issues at all.

I keep it clean and maintain it regularly and haven't had to replace a single part on it and I'm the second owner (the first owner got it wet and didn't maintain it very well as it had quite a bit of rust on it when I got it).

If you're looking for a HD gun in Semi-Auto, then I'd look at Remington before I went to Mossberg (in the semi-auto department) simply because I know it works and its proven itself over time as a very reliable design for the price (really, very little change in design over the 1100).

If you want a pump, I personally like the Winchester 1300 Defender, but there are other pumps to be had for less I suppose.

If you plan on competing, get an FN or Benelli but there's absolutely nothing wrong with trusting your life to a Remington if you don't plan on shooting it for more than 10,000 rounds.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right you are EZ, HOWEVER....Dustin asked what all the fuss was about Benelli...so he got a lesson. As for choosing an 1100 over any other gun, I am absolutely shocked to hear, from a guy who would only buy Genuine mil-spec ARs, settle for anything less than bullet proof in a Shotgun, when it has been proved that 1100s BREAK A LOT! Hmmmm??? KurtM

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right you are EZ, HOWEVER....Dustin asked what all the fuss was about Benelli...so he got a lesson. As for choosing an 1100 over any other gun, I am absolutely shocked to hear, from a guy who would only buy Genuine mil-spec ARs, settle for anything less than bullet proof in a Shotgun, when it has been proved that 1100s BREAK A LOT! Hmmmm??? KurtM

First off, I agree that the best is the best and you've more than proven yourself as someone who knows the limits of your weapon when pushing it to the extreme. And I totally get why you would defend Benelli if someone asked what all the fuss was, but this thread has gotten a little side-tracked since then man.

But if you're talking about me when choosing the 1100 vs. the ARs (BTW, I never said that I would only buy Genuine mil-spec ARs - I have lots of non-mil spec parts on my ARs - both barrels fail to be M4-profile, my gas blocks are not pinned, both gas systems aren't Carbine length, I'm looking at getting a non-forged lower, I have several non-mil spec parts in my lowers, etc... :D), well I didn't say this shotgun was for me.

There are several folks out there who just aren't in a place where they can buy the absolute best of everything out there or at least aren't interested in spending the money on a $1k shotgun vs. a $400-$600 version.

I'm not saying Budman-Bill is one of those guys, but I'm guessing since competing wasn't on his list, and he listed a semi-auto that sells for around $400, that he wasn't interested in spending $900+ on a kick-ass Benelli M1 competition setup.

And I'm not saying that the cheaper route is best by any means, but the 1100 has seen a lot of action and is proven to the limits of normal hunting and home-defense enough that I'm comfortable recommending it to someone who asks about a $400 semi-auto shotgun for home-defense. Its not like we're getting into unreliable territory here - the Remington 11-87 doesn't really break that often if you're talking under 1,000rds.

And I have to point out that I never said I'd buy it over any other shotgun, but I'd sure buy it over a Mossberg semi-auto if that were my budget. I'd say that the only other reliable semi-auto shotgun in that price-point is the Beretta 390, but I don't know a whole lot about those.

If I had the money, I'd buy a Benelli or FN SLP for sure, but I don't even own a self-defense shotgun right now, so that's a purchase for another day :D

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ez...at no time did I tell BudMan to buy a Benelli, Mossberg, Remington etc. Matter of fact I never told anyone to buy anything. I was only addressing the "hype" remark of Dustin's. Maybe this quote from the very first post I did in this section will help clarify all of this since as you pointed out it took a real curve...which was my fault btw.

"Now none of this mean I would buy a Benelli just to sit in the corner of the bedroom, there are many good choices for far less $$, but if you wanted to know the "hype"....there it is!

As for "defending Benelli"...I DON'T. They do absolutely NOTHING for the action shooting sports, Their customer service sucks swamp water, and they are arrogant as hell about their product. The second part to all of my posts was in answer to Dustin thinking that I was just a "fan-boy Benelli forum reader". Now why in the hell would a guy like me use their product when I could prostitute myself to almost any firearm company in the U.S......cause I have been sponsored by many of them in the past and if they break you don't win! That is why I shoot Benelli....they don't break near as much as XYZ companies shotguns do! Do you have any idea how stupid you look when you have a companies name in HUGE letters all over your shirt and you are picking up pieces of the broken firearm?

No-one asked me what I have in the corner in the bed room but if they had, they would find out that it is Mossberg 500 with a fore-end light. Reliable, cheap if it should ever get stolen, the wife and kids know how to use it and hey it,s a 12 gage....BUT it doesn't have a side saddle as those are GAHHAY!! KurtM

Note: I have no animosity for Dustin what so ever, he asked and he got an answer.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
beretta 1200fp or 1201fp, great guns, reliable, half as expensive as a benelli, just as fast. Owned both. Love and miss them. Get one. I think my 1200 was a 7 rd capacity with 20" barrel, 1201 was 5 with 18.5 in barrel. Shoots faster than I am capable of pulling the trigger.....LOVES buckshot!

Latest posts

Top Bottom