Shotgun HELP!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Benelli forum?? Never knew they had them, but if there is a Benelli forum I would be one of the guys they would talk about. Dustin your age is shown as 23 in your profile, if that is the case you bought your 1100 when you were 8 years old, so I am glad to see a kid that age can take the recoil of a couple of cases a day of 12 gage shells.

Dennis, in the years I have competed, I have always heard of an 1100 with 50,000-100,000 shells through it, only cleaned once and only replaced the o ring twice, but I have NEVER seen one last an entire competition without some form of catastrophic malfunction or breakage. The best ones are when the mag tubes pound out of the receiver and you end up with a two piece 1100....Dissassemble and show clear! We have taken to calling the 1100 a 550 as it is only half the shotgun that people say they are.

I don't doubt that yours has been exactly what you say it has been, and I am glad that that has been the case for you, and I AGREE whole heartedly about a SEMI for self defense. When I give shotgun classes to L.E. and Military the gun I see give the most trouble bar none is the much touted 870. I would take any good semi any day of the week over most any pump.

Now just so we can be clear on all this I am an Action Shooting Competitor and have been since 87. I was a provost instructor for Gun site back when Col. Cooper ran it. I compete and teach all over the world. I have been 2nd and 3rd at the European Shotgun Championships ( there was a nice article in the Oklahoman about me 2-3 years ago), I am the 5 time English open shotgun champion. I am a member of both the U.S. IPSC standard Shotgun team, and Iron Sight IPSC USA rifle team (I was fourth over all in Norway at the European rifle championships this year). I have won many National, Area and state level 3-gun matches, shotgun matches, and rifle matches. In Action shooting we don't just shoot nice light Bird-shot. We shoot tons of Slugs and Buckshot, So as you can see I in fact DO what the forum guys type about, and I stand by my statements of the 1100/1187. It is what I have seen over the last 22 years of pulling the trigger all over the world.

BTW having an ammo sponsore who makes shotgun ammo really helps in the amount you can shoot and still eat!

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dustin, methinks you don't know who you're talking with, Kurt has a wee bit more experience with benellis than you think.

;) I was just trollin a little bit man, cut me some slack.

And, Kurt, I meant no disrespect, I was just foolin a little. I did get my 11-87 when I was 11. Actually it was my dad's until I turned 18. I raised hogs for 4-H and when he got the money from the end of the year sale, he bought it. A-1 Gun and Pawn in Liberal, KS. I remember it like it was yesterdy. It was around the same time, just a couple years later.

The only time I've ever had a shotgun fail on me was my Dad's Benelli Legacy at Silver Leaf. I don't know what was wrong with it, but a little rem oil in the club house got it running again. That was a rough day shooting sporting clays. That gun is light, but it kicks a lot harder than my Remington.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Now just so we can be clear on all this I am an Action Shooting Competitor and have been since 87. I was a provost instructor for Gun site back when Col. Cooper ran it. I compete and teach all over the world. I have been 2nd and 3rd at the European Shotgun Championships ( there was a nice article in the Oklahoman about me 2-3 years ago), I am the 5 time English open shotgun champion. I am a member of both the U.S. IPSC standard Shotgun team, and Iron Sight IPSC USA rifle team (I was fourth over all in Norway at the European rifle championships this year). I have won many National, Area and state level 3-gun matches, shotgun matches, and rifle matches.

Crap, it's an even bigger list than I thought!

They see me trollin, they hatin!

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I purchased a Mossberg 930 SPX earlier this month and took it out 2 times, shot maybe 200 rounds of light birdshot, heavy birdshot, slugs, & 00 through it, it cycled almost flawlessly. On the 3rd outing it would not cycle (I had not cleaned it since the 2nd outing), it's currently in back at the factory. The gun is awesome and pleasant to shoot, Keelty, Purplehaze, & Anaconda can attest to how the gun points and fires.

I won't say that I wouldn't purchase another one yet, just that I'm disappointed at this point.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes Benelli,s kick a bit more than 1100/1187, however once any shotgun is fit to you the recoils is much less. Benellis come set up in a European manner and I find I need to use the C shim for drop and a b plate for cast. That coupled with a nice Kick-Eez or Limb-Saver recoil pad makes them much more managable.

Action shooting use of a shotgun is much different than hunting or skeet and trap shooting. In the above mentioned sports you fire either one or two rounds and then have a big long wait, Hunting up to 3 but there is usually a good break in the action while the gun is toped off again and then something else decides to fly by. Sporting clays is a tiny bit closer but even then there is a fire two with a break in between sets.

Action shooting on the other hand can be courses of fire with swinging/flying and static targets and large steel Poppers to knock down. Up to 45-60 rounds all at one time fired as fast as you can load the gun...which if you are skilled can be quite fast, I can shoot a round and load eight more shells and shoot another round in 6 seconds average My best time for a port arms start and hitting a 10" steel plate at 10 yards loading 8 and shooting another steel plate at 10 yards is 5.13 seconds. Now 45-60 rounds of buckshot and slugs shot in a 45 - 65 seconds will put a much higher stress on the gun than any Clay or hunting sport. and there have been several times in Europe and Asia where the stages have been so big that I have melted the fiber optic rod on my Hi-Vis front sight. At the recent Ft Benning 3 Gun Challenge, which I won in Iron sight division, there was a stage for shotgun which I beat everyone by a large margin in which I fired 31 rounds in 25 seconds (the shotgun I use holds 9 rounds total). These are the kinds of stress that wreck the good old Remington products. Almost all the top action shooters use Benelli with a few SX2s here and there. With a very rare 1100 type gun. Hell even my hog hunting buddy Jerry Michlec switched over because he was "tired of scatterin parts!" So Yea they kick a bit less, but get a big bucket to hold the broken parts! KurtM

Latest posts

Top Bottom