Shotgun mounted weapon light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I'm looking at shotgun mounted weapon lights (for an FN TPS / Winchester 1300), and it occurs to me that I don't really want one mounted to the pump/fore-grip.

I'd rather actually have one mounted to the barrel/mag-tube (or both) and have a remote pressure pad (as much as I despise remote pressure-pads and wires hanging off of my weapons).

I looked at the replacement picitinny foregrip from Ergo, but they don't seem to make one for the 1300 anymore.

So what are the benefits/disadvantages of fore-grip mounted vs. barrel mounted? Who makes a good Shot-gun mount (aside from the Surefire - I'm already convinced that they are good, I just don't know if I want one that is fore-grip mounted or not).

I wasn't too sure that I was going to keep this thing, but its really growing on me now, so I feel the need to get it equiped for using at night (and no, I'm not trying to have the mounted/hand-held argument again, so please - no thread-drift into that one).

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of those figure 8 looking do-dads that clamps a mag extension to the barrel works "ok" I guess. I had one on my Mossberg, but found that it's kinda in the way, sorta like a side saddle.

awww.cheaperthandirt.com_ctd_images_lgprod_11646.png

You mount one end to the mag tube and your flashlight goes in the end that is suppossed to be on the barrel. Or maybe it's vice-versa? Hell, I can't remember. :scratch: Anyway...it holds a 1" diameter flashlight...like a Surefire G2. You can swivel it around close to the barrel and mag and use your left thumb or a pad, if you desire.

Like I said. It will work, but I think in the long run, you'd be happier with the Surefire 623. I know I plan on having one on my Mossberg...someday. :cry3:

Does your Winchester 1300 have wood or poly furniture?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Streamlight tactical mount on my 870 - clicky here. I don't know if they make one for the TPS/1300 (I'd like to know, as I have a TPS myself); a search of Streamlight's web site didn't turn up one.

But it's a relatively cheap and sturdy mount, and I can put my TLR-1 at 3, 6, or 9 o'clock. The only problem is the coiled cord; when I rack the slide, the cord bounces around a bit. Probably wouldn't be a big issue, but I can't say that for certain.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of those figure 8 looking do-dads that clamps a mag extension to the barrel works "ok" I guess. I had one on my Mossberg, but found that it's kinda in the way, sorta like a side saddle.

awww.cheaperthandirt.com_ctd_images_lgprod_11646.png

You mount one end to the mag tube and your flashlight goes in the end that is suppossed to be on the barrel. Or maybe it's vice-versa? Hell, I can't remember. :scratch: Anyway...it holds a 1" diameter flashlight...like a Surefire G2. You can swivel it around close to the barrel and mag and use your left thumb or a pad, if you desire.

Like I said. It will work, but I think in the long run, you'd be happier with the Surefire 623. I know I plan on having one on my Mossberg...someday. :cry3:

Does your Winchester 1300 have wood or poly furniture?

Sadly, I sold my 11300 with wood on it - it was a good shotgun, but I didn't feel like I needed a 12ga home-defense shotgun at the time (I've got several shotguns for other purposes, but I've gotten to where I would just go for my handgun in a home-defense situation).

Since then I bought an FN TPS:

[Broken External Image]

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good thread. I've got a pump shotgun coming in, and am thinking about light mounting options. Looks like the "cleanest," but expen$ive, option is a dedicated Surefire replacement forend with built in light. Some like them lots. Others say their support hand gets banged up by the hump in the Surefire forend on recoil.

I'm still looking and thinking, open to different solutions.

Nightops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had to use one of these scope accessory rings http://tnvc.com/categories/weapon_mounts_rings.html to put a rail on the 30mm tube of my FN SLP, then mount the light to that rail. FN took too long to get their accessory rails out and wanted too much for them. I would much rather have an integrated Surefire forend though. Other than a sling being mounted forward of the light, and price, I can't see a downside to the surefire forend, it is much cleaner, and less snag-happy than a clamp on light and coil cable hanging from your weapon.

I had a Surefire on a Mossberg 590, and still regret selling it sometimes, but I wanted an auto. I guess I should have paid extra for an m1/m2 so that I could then pay more for the forend

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Surefire is pretty much it, sorry. The only other option (IMO) worth considering, is placing rail segments on a synthetic forend, and mounting something like the TLR or an M6X, and running the pressure switch to the groove on the off-side, and affixing with a bead of Goop.

Hanging crap on shotguns just doesn't work well. Even well made lights die from the recoil; cords that aren't embedded in the poly invariably snag and get torn out (worse with coil cords).

SF's dedicated forends are "clunky" for a reason- they bear the wear and tear of full power loads and being knocked around.

Teeeroy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a TLR-1 mounted on my magazine tube with a cheap (~$30) mount I got a gun show. I'm sure it's just some off-brand 3-rail thing.

I was a little concerned about how the light/mount setup would handle the recoil, but it's worked just fine.

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom