"Shotguns for Home Protection"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No apology needed. What I'm saying is there is a difference in being charged, that's the DA's call, and being found guilty, that's the jury's call. Suppose it looks like you've gone over the line, just slightly, and the jury is looking at your black battle rifle, and your gillie suite, and the jury has been hand picked and they don't know the 2nd A from from the 4th of July, do you think it's possible that they might think this guy was looking for trouble. As opposed to your old model 700 deer rifle, that makes you look like a hunter, and their husband is a hunter, so you must be OK. It's perception, that's what sways a jury. With your background, you must know this. And by the way, thank you for your service.

I've heard many people talk about it but I've never heard of it happening and it's hard to find an example where it has happened. At least I haven't been able to.

I remember a pretty famous case from some years ago in Tulsa, I think, of a young 20-something man shooting 3 home invaders, two of whom were teens, with an AR. Don't believe it was an issue then, either. There are many examples of people using ARs to defend themselves but no mention of it being an issue in court.

I think a good atty could easily explain away pretty much anything that came into question. You used a forward grip for more precise aim to ensure you hit your target and lessened any chance of shooting someone else. A light helped you identify your target as a definite threat...you could see a weapon in his hand, etc...

It's not something I've ever worried about. I think a lot of people should be more worried about some of their social media posts than the type of gun they used.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard many people talk about it but I've never heard of it happening and it's hard to find an example where it has happened. At least I haven't been able to.

I remember a pretty famous case from some years ago in Tulsa, I think, of a young 20-something man shooting 3 home invaders, two of whom were teens, with an AR. Don't believe it was an issue then, either. There are many examples of people using ARs to defend themselves but no mention of it being an issue in court.

I think a good atty could easily explain away pretty much anything that came into question. You used a forward grip for more precise aim to ensure you hit your target and lessened any chance of shooting someone else. A light helped you identify your target as a definite threat...you could see a weapon in his hand, etc...

It's not something I've ever worried about. I think a lot of people should be more worried about some of their social media posts than the type of gun they used.
Good points, and I agree. And I remember a famous case from years ago in Wyoming, involving an attorney named Gary Spence, a local young cheerleader and Bob Guccione, who was the publisher of Hustler magazine. The cheerleader was suing Guccione because Hustler ran a sordid story about a cheerleader from Wyoming. Anyway, when the cheerleader took the stand Spence asked her if the man that defiled her was in the courtroom, she said yes, he's right there, and Spence said do you mean this man wearing the brown leather pants? Brown leather pants aren't illegal, but in Wyoming it cost Guccione millions. It's about perception. The only thing I'm worried about, including my social media posts, is that I live and the other guy dies. That's it.

Last edited:

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never, ever heard of anyone being convicted, prosecuted or even arrested for using an AR for home defense. Sounds like some wild rumor mill stuff to me. The ol’ I know a guy that knew a guy who’s father’s cousin was arrested for using an AR.

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FYI, the Savage Stevens 320 models will cycle and shoot Aguilla and Federal mini shotshells without an adapter. The Aguilla buckshot round has 4 #1 buck and 7 #4 buckshot pellets at 1250fps and a standard 320 mag tube will take 9+1rounds of minis.
Nifty home defense for a budget price
This is good to know, especially since mine has an extended tube.

87edz4G.jpg

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
High velocity and light bullet weight always means reduced penetration and more fragmentation. The right .223/5.56 load is excellent home defense medicine.

But a 12 ga buckshot load to center mass is formidable. Perp ain’t gonna make it
There's just something about a fist-sized hole in a torso that gets people's attention. Granted, that attention span is for about 10 seconds, but then they probably shouldn't have F'ed around and found out the hard way.

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the long gun guys go get your rifle/shotgun ready and wake up tonight from bed pretend you heard something and not sure what it was and go down the hall (w/2 hands holding rifle) and open that one bedroom door (use 3 hands for this one) that was closed. Then go to the back kitchen door (w/2 hands holding rifle) and open door with third hand to look in the garage. Dont stop there use 3rd hand to open the back garage door (w/2 hands holding rifle). Nope nothing there. Might as well go to the shop (w/2 hands holding rifle and open that door with 3rd hand also. Then next night do it with a revolver. Revolver for the win!!!!!!!!!
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm capable of opening a door while holding a weapon with one hand.

Getintouch98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm capable of opening a door while holding a weapon with one hand.
Completely agree. I have tried it and it can be done. However, I like the shotgun because I have no kids and so I have no reason to search the house. Hold up on the bedroom and anything coming through the bedroom door has a big surprise. But to the point police officers have breached homes with long guns for years. Takes training but can be done.

Latest posts

Top Bottom