"Shotguns for Home Protection"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A laughing emoji is an excellent rebuttal to a reasoned argument. I guess if that's all you got, though...
If I had time to research it, I’d bet I can come up with more instances where cops get away clean with an “accidental” shooting than you can to prove your argument, but fortunately/unfortunately, I have work to do. I’m done with this discussion and definitely done arguing with a cop/has been cop/wannabe cop that thinks he’s an expert on everything tactical and legal.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys including me keep arguing about defense guns that are good, better or best for home defense. Some of you can grab all the different platforms in your collection and use with excellent results in most any situation. Some of you will have more problems than you realize when a serious home defense situation happens even with your preferred firearm platform. I think almost every post post Ive read in this thread has a valid point. I will leave you with this for the average, expert, newbie, professional, granny, ex cop, current cop, 3 gunner, occasional shooter, and the KNOW IT ALL the best home defense weapon is the REVOLVER whether you agree or not.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I had time to research it, I’d bet I can come up with more instances where cops get away clean with an “accidental” shooting than you can to prove your argument, but fortunately/unfortunately, I have work to do. I’m done with this discussion and definitely done arguing with a cop/has been cop/wannabe cop that thinks he’s an expert on everything tactical and legal.

OK...take your keyboard and go home, then. And BTW...I couldn't wait to get out of law enforcement. I'm definitely not a wannabe. And, I'm not an expert on those things you mentioned. But I know bulls**t when I smell it.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys including me keep arguing about defense guns that are good, better or best for home defense. Some of you can grab all the different platforms in your collection and use with excellent results in most any situation. Some of you will have more problems than you realize when a serious home defense situation happens even with your preferred firearm platform. I think almost every post post Ive read in this thread has a valid point. I will leave you with this for the average, expert, newbie, professional, granny, ex cop, current cop, 3 gunner, occasional shooter, and the KNOW IT ALL the best home defense weapon is the REVOLVER whether you agree or not.
Revolvers suffer the same issue of any handgun, harder to aim, and subject to pushing from recoil anticipation. This get extremely exaggerated by inexperienced shooters in DAO. Top that with a 7 shot max capacity and I’m gonna have to disagree.

I would argue that handguns are a poor replacement for long guns in most fighting situations

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good read, I have some different thoughts. It sounds like most people want one shot lethal, and that is best, but you can shoot them as many times as you want in your house, just make sure they are dead. If someone comes to my house, I automatically assume they have come to kill me and they will probably be proffesionals, and there will be more than one. Two people want to see me dead, and they have money, and I expect them to try. In spite of that, I'm not paranoid, I'm prepared, I have three guns within arms reach of my bed, I carry all day every day, I have guns hidden all over, nobody is coming to steal or burglarize, and if things go well for me, they won't be going to the hospital when they leave. I'm not really worried about going to jail, I'm worried that if I don't kill them, they will be back. All of the guns mentioned are lethal, they're just different tools for different situations, it's the mindset that will make the difference.
One more thing, all this tactical stuff that's in vogue now could work against you, imagine yourself in court trying to defend yourself after you've used a gun, and the uber cool AR is on the table with mags, and lights, and it looks like you went on a spree at Tapco, you look like a gun nut. Compare that to the Model twelve with the Cutts above, that's your duck gun, you weren't looking for someone to kill, sh*t happened. I think the jury is much more likely to believe your self defence story.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree. A revolving 4 gage is the best HD gun there is. :P

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's nonsense and RickN is NOT 100% right. There is story after story after story of officers, cities and departments being sued for wrongful deaths related to police accidentally shooting bystanders and others. It makes for a good talking point to say they just get away with it without repercussions...except it simply isn't true. That's not to say it's never happened...but it's the exception and not the rule. (Just wanted to make it clear that I didn't say it never happens.)

I can tell you from experience sitting for 7 days in federal district court after being sued for $17M over something I didn't even do...and I didn't even shoot anyone. It's not fun. Some little ********* didn't want to get in trouble with mommy and daddy (both convicted felons, BTW, with a history of trying to sue police) so he made up a story. It took two years of my life away worrying over what might happen to me if a jury bought into his sob story and lies. So, yeah...I'm gonna call bulls**t on that. Because I've been there.

I've also been in a fight on the side of highway in the middle of the night after being stabbed in the face with a screwdriver and not shooting the a-hole that I should've shot because the last deputy to shoot someone (quite justified) was raked over the coals by the department. So instead I had to risk my life and beat the dogs**t outta the guy with an ASP until he gave up, finally. Oh...he plead to Second Degree Assault on a Peace Officer and was sentenced to 30 days in jail and probation. He was arrested while he was out on bond in my case for possession of cocaine. He plead guilty and got 90 days jail for that...while he was serving his 30 day sentence for stabbing me.
Some do get sued, but seldom face prison time and are less likely to be sued than the average homeowner. When they are sued it is usually by a dirtbag hoping to get a payoff from the city, not a DA running for re-election and wanting to make a name for himself.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Revolvers suffer the same issue of any handgun, harder to aim, and subject to pushing from recoil anticipation. This get extremely exaggerated by inexperienced shooters in DAO. Top that with a 7 shot max capacity and I’m gonna have to disagree.

I would argue that handguns are a poor replacement for long guns in most fighting situations
Poor replacement!!!! Revolvers or Handguns. I dont think so. Some long guns and Auto pistols are not very user friendly for some. Revolvers are the most user friendliest home defense firearm design ever.

Here are just a few reasons to choose a revolver

With a revolver if you get a click instead of a bang you just pull the trigger again.
A dry, unmaintained revolver will most likely fire more rounds then an Auto pistol in the same condition.
Some Auto pistol requires mag/ammo rotation so mag spring won’t weaken.
Another family member can take your revolver and continue the fight, not so ease with most Auto pistols.
Revolvers are typically better for anyone with limited hand dexterity or strength and anyone who is not going to practice. Pistol slides, control levers and loading mags could be extremely difficult, under stress, if not impossible.
Minimum maintenance.

Superior reliability, Can’t double feed, Fail to feed, Stovepipe, Etc.
Training on DA revolver, is well training on DA revolvers, regardless of size, caliber.

Fairly cheap to practice. You can get a 22 rimfire revolver to practice with.

Fewer shots necessary to prove reliability.

How many people have fired a few hundred rounds of FMJ ammo and decided to try the defense HP they bought to find out they wouldn’t feed or cycle without issues.
Wider ammo choice. Revolver will feed and FIRE any ammo in the correct caliber. It is NOT ammo sensitive as in Autoloader. Misfires are easily corrected (PULL the Trigger again)
Much easier for beginners. (I don’t care what you say)

An inexperience shooter (even an experienced shooter) may even hit the mag release button under pressure. Most people don’t realize what pressure is really like (heart rate, panic, deciding on real threat or not) during home defense situations.

You can’t load a round backwards.
Easier to unload and make safe..
Did I mention NO LIMP WRIST PROBLEMS. LoL
There are grips available for revolvers for a better fit to your hand.
Less likely to accidental discharge with its DA trigger NO MATTER HOW COMPETENT YOU ARE.

Revolvers are Efficient

The revolver’s first advantage is efficiency; the revolver requires no manipulation of the gun beyond operating the trigger in order to fire. There are no extra buttons or levers to push, which means that there are no buttons or levers to forget to push.

For most new shooters the more complicated something is, the easier it is to forget something when you’re distracted.

Even highly-trained and experienced shooters forget to deactivate the safety on their auto pistols when faced with a new and distracting shooting challenge.

Revolver Reliability Another major attribute of the revolver is reliability; the revolver will generally have a longer mean time between failures than that of even the best autoloaders, meaning that it will shoot more rounds without having mechanical issues that affect its operation. Of course that’s not to say that revolvers never malfunction, only that they do so less often than a self-loading handgun.

Part of that reliability is the fact that the revolver will shoot a much wider variety of ammunition. With an autoloader it’s necessary to thoroughly test the gun with any specific type of ammunition because they are somewhat picky about bullet weight, shape, and velocity. Many experts say that an autoloader should be tested with 200 rounds of any ammunition that you expect to use (which today would run into an awful lot of money).

Revolvers Will Fit Anyone

The revolver, can get a good fit simply by changing the grips. Because the revolvers’ grip size and shape isn’t dictated by the need to fit a magazine, there is much more leeway in how big or how small the grip can be made. In many cases it’s possible to take a revolver which doesn’t fit the shooter well, make a grip change and end up with a combination that works well.

This is true regardless of whether the gun is too small or too big for the hands. Larger and smaller grips are available, and in extreme cases it’s possible for a gunsmith to modify the grip frame to make an even greater change.

Revolvers Don’t Use Mags

Of course, there are no magazines necessary to operate the revolver, which is an often-unappreciated advantage. Magazines are a weak spot for the auto loading pistol some are fragile, and can wear out.

The Revolver Trigger is Heavy

A very real advantage in an adrenalin-charged incident is the long and heavy trigger offered by the revolver. In the confusion of a defensive shooting, there is the very real possibility that fingers will stray into the trigger guard, and there are enough videos of trained police officers inadvertently discharging rounds when in a tense situation sometimes resulting in death. I would never suggest relying on a heavy trigger as a safety device, but must also acknowledge that it does provide another layer of protection to even the best safety habits.

Latest posts

Top Bottom