Should colleges pay athletes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scholarship or pay or both

• Total voters

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And the athletes who play but aren't good enough to have successful merchandising? How about them? If you give them the money from successful athletes merchandizing then aren't you utilizing wealth redistribution? The amount of free education, meal plans, housing etc is worth several thousand a semester, and is more than enough. Slave master? Give me a break. They run a business like every other business out there.

I never said pay 'em equally.

As for running a business like any other business... I wish my business could force large institutions to provide free labor to me under the threat of loss of federal funding. Then if a school or player (the laborer) does something the NCAA (the "employer") doesn't like, the taxpayer (a third party) is on the hook for fines that often have no other justification than "make it big so it's front page". That's one hell of an arrangement.

Now, anyone who knows any big name NCAA player knows there is under-the-table compensation from outside private sources. Why not allow players to be compensated publicly and all legal-like?

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never said pay 'em equally.

As for running a business like any other business... I wish my business could force large institutions to provide free labor to me under the threat of loss of federal funding. Then if a school or player (the laborer) does something the NCAA (the "employer") doesn't like, the taxpayer (a third party) is on the hook for fines that often have no other justification than "make it big so it's front page". That's one hell of an arrangement.

Now, anyone who knows any big name NCAA player knows there is under-the-table compensation from outside private sources. Why not allow players to be compensated publicly and all legal-like?

Once again, the players get paid by scholarships, housing, meal plans, best gym memberships in the states probably, etc. I'm not seeing that a lack of payment at all. How much is a semester of tuition at ou or osu these days? It ain't free! I know that much

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once again, the players get paid by scholarships, housing, meal plans, best gym memberships in the states probably, etc. I'm not seeing that a lack of payment at all. How much is a semester of tuition at ou or osu these days? It ain't free! I know that much

So in your view, all revenue generators should be paid equally?

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hell no they shouldn't get paid. they are getting a full ride through a college.
I'm so tired of hearing athletes complain about money, weather professional or college. I see it like this, they chose this path.

Why don't folks feel this way about other professions? I mean the whole you chose this path thing. Teachers knew what they were signing up for. Same as cops, soldiers, factory workers. Everyone else has a reason to complain. Why not athletes? Because you didn't make the cut? As far as it paying your way through college, so does bussing tables so kids should be satisfied with that job too and never b!tch about it or call in. Just be thankfull their "working through college" job won't leave them crippled or with a brain injury.

Sent from atop the throne in the last stall using Tapatalk 2 for Android.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're already getting a scholarship worth as much as a quarter million dollars over 4 years, and sometimes even more. That's a pretty good paycheck for someone who is 18-22 years old.

That's prices at the company store. Only reason it's priced at that is bc the company you are forced to spend that educational gift certificate at sets their own prices.

Sent from atop the throne in the last stall using Tapatalk 2 for Android.

Latest posts

Top Bottom