Should judges be prohibited from overriding the will of the people?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should judges be prohibited from overriding the will of the people?

• Yes, by Constitutional amendment, if measure has 75% YEA votes

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Yes, by statute, if measure has 75% YEA votes

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Yes, by Constitutional amendment, if measure has 60% YEA votes

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Yes, by statute, if measure has 60% YEA votes

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Yes, by Constitutional amendment, if measure has a simple majority of YEA votes

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Yes, by statute, if measure has a simple majority YEA votes

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • No.

Votes: 68 70.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No matter what you think of the current issue, the rights protected in the Constitution are there to protect the unpopular minority, not the tyrannical majority. And as gun owners, we better be glad that is so.

But the activists judges who think it is ok to re-invent the Constitution to suit THEIR political agenda threaten the basic fabric of the Republic.

I wish we had more statesmen and fewer politicians. Somehow "Power" seems to have replaced "Service to the Country."

Westsidebob

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, they should be able to. It's one of those double edge swords. We won't like it when they rule against something we voted for, but majority rule doesn't make it right.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Judicial rulings shouldn't be about popular vote or anything else, it should strictly be about weather or not it's legal, Constitutional.

But in regards to the current issue, is it Constitutional for a federal judge to strike down a state law? Because, honestly, that's my issue with the ruling. My solution to the issue is to remove government from the matter all together.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Judicial rulings shouldn't be about popular vote or anything else, it should strictly be about weather or not it's legal, Constitutional.

But in regards to the current issue, is it Constitutional for a federal judge to strike down a state law? Because, honestly, that's my issue with the ruling. My solution to the issue is to remove government from the matter all together.

BANG and done...

R. Johnson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is part of the checks and balances system, the judges are there to rule on constitutional issues. Equal rights means no special rights for anyone. A ban on gay marriage for instance was not limiting gays from marrying, rather a special right for the heteros. If you look at it that way, it might make more sense to the one who are anti-gay marriage. Although, the anti crowd are so close-minded that it wouldn't compute anyway.

You have it exactly backwards. Under a ban on homosexual marriage everyone, gay and straight alike, has an equal right to marry a person of the opposite sex in compliance with the equal protection clause. Legalizing same sex "marriage" creates another equal right for all people, gay and straight, to "marry" a person of the same sex. Bans on gay marriage do not violate the U.S. Constitution. Further, the U.S. Constitution does not give the federal government the right to regulate marriage, nor does it prevent the many states from doing so. Therefore, IAW the tenth amendment, the states have a Constitutional right to regulate marriage. What's great about the United States is that if you don't like the laws in your state you can move to a state that is better suited to your tastes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom