Should judges be prohibited from overriding the will of the people?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should judges be prohibited from overriding the will of the people?

• Yes, by Constitutional amendment, if measure has 75% YEA votes

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Yes, by statute, if measure has 75% YEA votes

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Yes, by Constitutional amendment, if measure has 60% YEA votes

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Yes, by statute, if measure has 60% YEA votes

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Yes, by Constitutional amendment, if measure has a simple majority of YEA votes

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Yes, by statute, if measure has a simple majority YEA votes

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • No.

Votes: 68 70.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

underpar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But in regards to the current issue, is it Constitutional for a federal judge to strike down a state law? Because, honestly, that's my issue with the ruling. My solution to the issue is to remove government from the matter all together.

+1......fed gov. stepping in to state matters is an issue with me as well! Problem for me is that it's a one way street. Where are all these judges and their rulings as it pertains to ones right to bear arms? Funny how they attack OK and UT "gay marriage" issues but they won't touch CO, CA, or any other state where the leftist no guns agenda is being rammed down the minority views throat!

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am very happy that you guys understand and respect the reasons for judicial power. It is easy to complain about judges when they rule for things you dislike, or against things you love, but you must understand that what makes our Constitution so special is that it DOES protect the individual. It's easy to view that concept with disdain, until YOU are the person whose rights need constitutional protection.

IndVet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1......fed gov. stepping in to state matters is an issue with me as well! Problem for me is that it's a one way street. Where are all these judges and their rulings as it pertains to ones right to bear arms? Funny how they attack OK and UT "gay marriage" issues but they won't touch CO, CA, or any other state where the leftist no guns agenda is being rammed down the minority views throat!

I visit Colorado two or three times a year. I take my guns (AR-15 with 30rd mags included) and go shooting with my family and friends. I'm not quite sure where you get the idea Colorado is a "no guns" state. Have you been watching Rush?

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's great about the United States is that if you don't like the laws in your state you can move to a state that is better suited to your tastes.

That's kind of like "love it or leave it." Why should someone have to move away from their business, their families, their friends and their property?

How about State legislatures respecting the Supremacy Clause and stop passing blatantly unconstitutional laws that end up discriminating against some citizens and costing all citizens tax dollars defending this BS drivel?

underpar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I visit Colorado two or three times a year. I take my guns (AR-15 with 30rd mags included) and go shooting with my family and friends. I'm not quite sure where you get the idea Colorado is a "no guns" state. Have you been watching Rush?

No.....understand they still have guns, bad example. Should have used NY, DC, etc. should have figured someone would nit pick.

Funny story though....brother lives in CO and we visited him during Christmas. We went to Gander Mountain to check out a pistol for his wifey and got to talking with the guy behind the gun counter. LSS, asked him some questions on snail mags etc. His response was something along the lines of "you should move to OK. Think you can buy anything there". Man was I proud to tell him I was an okie!

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's kind of like "love it or leave it." Why should someone have to move away from their business, their families, their friends and their property?

How about State legislatures respecting the Supremacy Clause and stop passing blatantly unconstitutional laws that end up discriminating against some citizens and costing all citizens tax dollars defending this BS drivel?

+1. I couldnt agree more.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No. Unless that judge is going off half cocked at making rulings blatantly against the constitution. Like the 4 justices on the SC that ruled against the 2A as an individual right in Heller.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But the federal courts ARE addressing RKBA issues at the state and local level. Did you miss the recent story about Chicago? Washington, D. C.? Those were federal RKBA cases.

Federal courts can't just say, "X is unconstitutional." A case has to be filed somewhere, by people who have standing to file the case. That means someone who was adversely affected by a particular law has to sue someone who either wrote or is executing the law. And generally, cases have to work their way up the system. I've forgotten a lot of my Ohio HS civics classes, but I seem to recall that not all federal courts are courts of original jurisdiction, and those that are are limited in that scope. Someone correct me there as needed.

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You mean the Supremacy Clause that says fed law trumps state law if the fed law is passed *purusant to* the constitution? I'm not seeing anything in the constitution about marriage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom