Should some Oklahomans be exempt from the state's income tax?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are correct in that I shouldn't have reverted to name calling,,,
It never helps to win an argument by doing that,,,
But I don't apologize.

And you are correct that "there were options",,,
But two of them were very bad options.

The type of options that would negatively affect the rest of your life.

And you never answered my question,,,
Which of the three would you have chosen?

Aarond

Fighting an unseen enemy in a jungle vs living around soulless Canadians would be a hard choice. Maybe Canadians were better back then?

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I knew several young men who fled to Canada,,,
Probably a dozen or more from my High School class.

One or two actually applied for Canadian citizenship.

But even after the amnesty happened,,,
The few I met again after they came back home,,,
Had a lot of trouble adjusting to being back in the USA.

If it became known that they had fled the draft,,,
They had some trouble finding a good job.

There was a stigma that I have to admit I played into,,,
"I didn't run and took my chances,,,
So why should I forgive you."

I'm ashamed that I felt that way,,,
But I did.

Aarond

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Terry, I'm grown. I take responsibility for my own life and my own actions. I'm tired of hearing people complain that things aren't fair and they cant get their way. It's the way of the world. Life isn't always fair, but we make the best we can with what we've got to work with. And you['re right. I don't really understand how things were back then. I had both parents and never realized we were poor until we weren't. My dad taught me to bust your ass to get ahead. Work for what you want. And I get disillusioned by these kids who think they can come into a new job and get managerial pay for burger flipper work. Everyone wants a hand out not a hand up.

Good on you. It sounds like your upbringing was similar to mine. As a youngster, I learned that I had to work to be able to get things I wanted. I delivered papers and then also helped my dad and grandpa with the farming. Dad couldn't pay me, but Grandpa did.

finishnailer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You wouldn’t know “truth” if it bit you in the rear. You know life as you see it. Your personal reflections don’t mean much to a lot of us. Taking what I said in two different conversations is the height of double speak. One day you’ll realize that other peoples opinions are as valid as yours. Good luck bud.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
See, even your argument is so weak you have to revert to name calling. But you have proven my point, there were options.
Which option would you have taken?
I had an Aunt that offered to pay my way to Canada, go to jail, or serve honorably as every generation in my family did, that my sister can find in our history, back to the Civil war.
I broke ranks by going Army. They all went Navy.
There was no question but to serve my country honorably. I've never regretted that decision. I was not going to be known the rest of my life as a coward by refusing service to my country that has given all of us more freedom than any country in history, nor was prison time and a felony that would deny my Constitutional freedoms and rights be taken away from me.
Those were my "options". What would you have done with your options?
Every ounce of that freedom was won by men and women fighting, bleeding and dying on battlefields all over the world to defend it. Most people respect that 1% of the population of the US defended the liberties of millions and millions of Americans and the non-citizens that live in this country. We took oaths to defend it that have never been rescinded.
I'm not sure what got the burr under your saddle about veterans, but we fought for the rights that you have it there. I hope it doesn't continue to irritate you as much as it appears in this thread.
Your life will be worse for it.
Edit: Perhaps you're not aware of the stigma of serving during and after Vietnam on veterans in this country. I suggest you walk to the lobby or the HR department and read carefully about discrimination in the work place. One section calls out Vietnam Era vets and actually gave them the same rights to promotions etc. that minorities had at that time because of discrimination against them over the years. It was still on the OG&E bulletin board the day I retired from there 8 years ago.
Veterans were denied good paying jobs because of the hollywood movies that depicted them as baby killers, murders and crazed madmen. Even Vietnam era vets that served their entire duty in the US or Germany got the same treatment by employers, the public, and the media.
When coming home from overseas at Travis AFB we were told to forget everything, go about our lives and STFU. The first thing that happened was coming through LAX, getting the stares and curses as we had to travel in uniform to get the discounted military airfares.
Vets refused to say they were in the military during job interviews. It wasn't until Grenada and the First Gulf war that the US population in general started giving the military and vets the respect they had earned.
But you were too young to experience that or probably know anything about that. Do some history work. It was a terrible time to be a vet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom