Signing Up For Social Security

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW I am now in my 3rd month of SS & Medicare/Supplement/Plan D.

I made the decision to pull the plug, yank the eject handle, and slip into another phase in my life at age 65.

I could have got my SS at 62. But at the age of 61 I created my online SS account and looked at what I would receive at different months and years of age. Decided that for me it was foolish.

I ran a lot of numbers (not hard to do) for about 3 years, almost every month. I finally made my decision about 8 months ago to sign up for both SS & Medicare.

Tip: Find a Pro to help you, one who has your best interests at heart. Won't cost you a penny. Be careful here.

I'll give yall a tip: You'll start getting a chit-load of snail mail from the mail man from these people who want to sign you up. I realized after awhile that those bozos did NOT have my best interest at heart, all they wanted to do is get me signed up and sell me a chit-ton of other financial products. I kicked all these bozos to the curb.

I decided to ask friends/family/acquaintances/church folks, etc, for personal recommendations on who they used and would they recommend them. I only asked those who had signed up in the last 2 to 3 years, not someone who signed up 10 years ago, things have changed.

Finally I got 2 names highly recommended by close personal friends a few years older than me. I called them, made an appointment and just went in to meet and greet, that's all for now.

After a lot of talk, thinking, hoping, I finally decided on one lady to help me. I kinda felt sorry for her, I ran her through the wringer, she never faltered or balked. Then later I went in to sign the dotted line.

That worked out very well for me. I'm happy and confident I made the best decision.

BTW it's against the law for them to recommend a certain plan or another or
push you in any way. If one does, bail out pronto.

Learn all you can, ask questions, read, figure, etc, start early as you can, work it. Don't rush, or take a quick easy decision, do it right the first time.

On Social Security, it was easy peazy. NO problem at for the sign up process.

Good luck to yall

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope. Nope, I can assure you it is CIGNA ... 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
I believe my mother has some very un-Christian words for Cigna. Or maybe it was Aetna. My younger brother reached "catastrophic" coverage levels before he was two months old, so she has had running battles with insurance ever since. It got renewed every time my dad's employer changed insurance carriers, but Cigna or Aetna was the worst. (We had Cigna for a few years where I used to work, so I may be mixing up the two.)

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Community Care, on the other hand, is quite possibly the most worthless organization on the planet.
That's weird. We have CommunityCare where I'm working now, and most of the guys at work like them. I haven't had any problems with them, although Obamacare finally caught up with them this year, forcing us to change plans.

All I know is that the $0 I'm currently paying for CommunityCare coverage beats the hell out of the nearly $900/month I was out of pocket for the retiree insurance from my previous job.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's weird. We have CommunityCare where I'm working now, and most of the guys at work like them. I haven't had any problems with them, although Obamacare finally caught up with them this year, forcing us to change plans.

All I know is that the $0 I'm currently paying for CommunityCare coverage beats the hell out of the nearly $900/month I was out of pocket for the retiree insurance from my previous job.

You are actually the very first person whom I've heard say something positive about Community Care.

I had a referral from a neurologist for some kind of brain scan back in Oct. In December Community Care claimed they never received it despite the fact someone from CC called my doctor to verify something in the referral. The doc submitted another referral for approval since the first has since expired. 3 weeks and still waiting for someone from CC to work another chickens**t reason why I haven't had the scan appt setup.

And this isn't the first time they've dropped the ball on a referral. If something absolutely positively can't be f**ked up, CC can find a way. I have nothing good to say about them.

ETA: Even the GAO said the timeliness of CCN scheduling appoints was dismal. And just to be clear, I'm not complaining about the care I receive at VA facilities. My big beef is with the extreme difficulty in getting a CC appointment scheduled with a provider. I've had mostly positive experiences with actual medical care provided by the VA. As a matter of fact, seeing what my wife goes thru with her private health insurance makes me pretty happy I get care from the VA.

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are actually the very first person whom I've heard say something positive about Community Care.
Hmm. After looking into it, I think we’re talking about two different entities that happen to have the same name. My CommunityCare is an insurance provider (CommunityCare of Oklahoma) that is apparently owned by the St. Francis and Ascension St. John’s healthcare systems in Tulsa. It doesn’t appear to be at all affiliated with the VA’s Community Care program.

I guess that would explain the disparity of opinions...

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you will give me an idea of your ss payment at age 62, I will put that in a spreadsheet to show how much reduction you will see vs retiring at 67.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The break even age is approx 83. If you have chronic health issues might want to take at 62. If you expect to live past 83 take it at full retirement age of 67. If you are healthy but need the $, take it at 62. If healthy & don’t need the cash take at 67.
Way I understand it is 70 is full retirement

Latest posts

Top Bottom