Siphoned gas and Security Cameras

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ll probably take you up on that, unless they’ve simplified the process for cavemen. I did successfully set up a printer and TV the other day, so I may be on a roll…. But I have my doubts.

Does one of those stand out to you? I can provide screenshots of the specs. I’m assuming they must be different since the cameras look different
What is your house layout?

Do you live in town or out in the country?

Do you want 360 degree coverage on your house or just certain areas?

Do you have any areas you want to watch that don't have a structure to run the cabling?

Do you know where you would install the recorder?

Is there internet cabling existing to that area?

Do you have a monitor for a computer or a TV for watching the video?

If a monitor, is it SVGA or HDMI or DVI-I?

If it is a TV, does it have a spare HDMI port on it?

Here is a system we did.

1671285960033.png

1671286015367.png

1671286052948.png

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have two Nite-Owl systems, and am reasonably happy with them. They are hard-wired and are set up to record 24x7. They will record about 6 days before they start to overwrite old data. They are on a UPS and HDMI hard-wired to the tv in the living room and garage. They are hard-wired to my network router (it is also on a UPS.) so I can view the cameras from anywhere in the world where there in an available internet connection. The Night Owl Connect and Night Owl Protect software sucks, but I haven't found a better alternative. The night vision is amazingly good. Someone expressed concerns about distance limitations. One of my cameras is about 150 feet from the house and has worked flawlessly for the 2 1/2 years it has been in service. If I had it to do over again, I would have exactly what I have.
Do your NVR boxes get hot to the touch? Mine was so hot, I couldn't touch it, then the thing just quit.
I have it back now and set it up but I lost connection with the app. This morning I'll have to reconnect to it. Too lazy right now to mess with it.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 2 Arlo Go cameras. One is here at my OKC home on the gate out front. I get instant notification and short video ( as short and as long as I decide to set ). So I know when and record anything/anybody approaching my gate as well I know when Amazon or the mailman arrives. The 2nd one is on my off grid cabin sitting in the middle of 80 acres. I have had these cameras for years now with no issues. There is a small SD card inside should the cell coverage go down. These 2 cameras used shared data with my Verizon cell phone plan for only $5/month. The rechargeable battery that they have lasts for weeks depending on usage.

Last edited:

ICanFixIt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do your NVR boxes get hot to the touch? Mine was so hot, I couldn't touch it, then the thing just quit.
I have it back now and set it up but I lost connection with the app. This morning I'll have to reconnect to it. Too lazy right now to mess with it.
They are on shelves I built in a closet. The 1080 resolution NVR has 8 cameras attached and it is no problem to touch. I would guess that it is less than 105 F. The 4k resolution NVR has 4 cameras attached and it is something under 100 F. The UPS for the system is on the other side of an insulated wall, so it does not contribute to any overheating problems. All of the power adapters for NVR's and cameras are on another shelf below the NVR's. There is a powered HDMI switch and a gigabit Ethernet switch in the closet as well. Bottom line is; I don't have any evidence of overheating with my NVR's.
On another note: I have had to replace a couple of my cameras due to blurry image or outright failure. The price is pretty low, but availability has been hit or miss.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are on shelves I built in a closet. The 1080 resolution NVR has 8 cameras attached and it is no problem to touch. I would guess that it is less than 105 F. The 4k resolution NVR has 4 cameras attached and it is something under 100 F. The UPS for the system is on the other side of an insulated wall, so it does not contribute to any overheating problems. All of the power adapters for NVR's and cameras are on another shelf below the NVR's. There is a powered HDMI switch and a gigabit Ethernet switch in the closet as well. Bottom line is; I don't have any evidence of overheating with my NVR's.
On another note: I have had to replace a couple of my cameras due to blurry image or outright failure. The price is pretty low, but availability has been hit or miss.
That's good. Knowing Chinee electronics like I do I purchased the extended warranty through SAMS with mine. I still didn't expect a failure within 3 months.

Latest posts

Top Bottom