Siphoned gas and Security Cameras

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These seem to be the wired NVR options from two of the brands you guys recommended. I’m not opposed to shopping places other than Costco, or a different brand, but it’s a place to start.
88F468D3-8453-4670-99EF-F5EEE1B92EE8.png

Attachments

• 859F6334-D375-400F-A4E9-EBA690DD23D2.png
    859F6334-D375-400F-A4E9-EBA690DD23D2.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 3627D902-1894-4BFC-83EF-9E590A400AD1.png
    3627D902-1894-4BFC-83EF-9E590A400AD1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 066F9EE3-61F2-4CB8-900B-9D6BE643B770.png
    066F9EE3-61F2-4CB8-900B-9D6BE643B770.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
@TANSTAAFL i think this question may be answered in your post, but I didn’t fully understand the DVR VS NVR part so I wanted to clarify.
If I understand correctly, the power is fed through the wired connection, correct? So it all feeds from the box it’s connected to?
A Digital Video Recorder, DVR, is a camera recorder for regular non IP assigned cameras and it records in a digital format. AN NVR is a Network Video Recorder and records network, IP cameras in a digital format. A Hybrid accepts both type of cameras. Usually the regular cameras on a DVR are powered with a separate power supply. Network cameras can be also but most are powered by PoE, Power over Ethernet using two wires of the 8 in a CAT5 or CAT6 cable. These are the square ended multi wire network cables for computer networks. These cables also have a length limit of 100 meters, about 300 ft. Compared to the older coaxial cable which has a length limit of 1,500 ft.

CAT5 cable and ends

1671240317868.png

COAX

1671240260077.png

This is the F connector TV's use. Security cameras use the BNC

1671240550186.png

Usually the Coax cable has a pair of 18 ga power wires molded to it and that is a Siamese cable
1671240427444.png

You have to make up the ends of both types with crimpers.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
These seem to be the wired NVR options from two of the brands you guys recommended. I’m not opposed to shopping places other than Costco, or a different brand, but it’s a place to start.
View attachment 329603
If I had the scratch, I would go with the Lorex 4K's.

My Night Owl cost $500. for ten.

Oh yeah, I just got done setting up my system again. They sent me another one.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
With my standard BNC powered cable connection I needed to reboot periodically as well, just not as often. Unfortunately the DVR boxes use a Linux/Android Operating system. With NVR Cameras they have an OS as well, which may not need to be rebooted as often since it is simpler. Auto Reboot? I just do it during the day while I am at home typically, keeps things running well. At some point I may go with a PC instead of the DVR and one of the open source camera programs. The DVR's no matter whom use a cheap processor. With my Defender system the box died after a year, cameras were still good. Sold the Cameras, upgraded to a Swann DVR and Cameras, but the DVR died after 1 and a half years due to a lightning strike.
I have mine on an old commercial rack mount UPS along with the monitor and TV.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm probably missing something, but I though car/trucks/vans/etc made in the last 20-25 years were pretty much siphon proof, because of restrictors put in the filler neck would block any tube?????

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great info guys, keep it coming.

@Snattlerake how much for you to come out of retirement? I was going to ask a local place, the former radio shack, if they install them, but sounds like you’re the guy for the job.
I can definitely help you out but you will have to do the wire pulling in the attic or crawl space.

I can assist with telling you what to do and make up splices or ends for you.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm probably missing something, but I though car/trucks/vans/etc made in the last 20-25 years were pretty much siphon proof, because of restrictors put in the filler neck would block any tube?????
Not sure. I know I have removed fuel before in vehicles well into the 2000s before messing with a fuel pump.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can definitely help you out but you will have to do the wire pulling in the attic or crawl space.

I can assist with telling you what to do and make up splices or ends for you.
I’ll probably take you up on that, unless they’ve simplified the process for cavemen. I did successfully set up a printer and TV the other day, so I may be on a roll…. But I have my doubts.
If I had the scratch, I would go with the Lorex 4K's.
Does one of those stand out to you? I can provide screenshots of the specs. I’m assuming they must be different since the cameras look different

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is the 600VA the one you recommend? It has several options
There are several options. If the power goes out for extended periods, the unit I posted will keep the security system we have alive for most of a day. If it's an extended period, like an ice storm or so on, one would need to look at a unit with longer capacity.
What we are worried about is someone that pulls the meter before entering the home. This prevents this. One of our OSA members had just that experience. They got a pic of some guy pulling the meter and then nothing with their wired system.
They lost several firearms and other items from the home. Never caught the guy the last time we talked.
For the record, we use the Wyze system which is WiFi. Outside cams that have internal batteries are backed up by solar panels, the base station is backed up the UPS as well as the WiFi router and it's power source.
Cellular cams outside independent of any power source other than their internal batteries and back up solar panels watch from a distance to back up the home cams.
Internal cams within the home in every room are subject to power failures as they rely on house power using USB ports.
There is no system that is 100% foolproof.
You're on the right track getting different opinions. Just offering mine.
Edit: Several years ago we had a company come out that was offering a wired system. With our home design, they walked away saying they didn't want the job as it would be incredibly difficult. That is when we looked at WiFi.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom