Smaller rail-mounted weapon lights for pistols (w/LED bulbs)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's available out there now days?

I've not owned a rail-mounted light for a pistol in a few years and it seems to me that the LED technology is forging ahead in all of the smaller companies, but not so much in the larger (and most weapon-mounted lights that I know of are made by larger companies). Not really looking for light/laser combos, just a good solid small-form-factor rail-mounted LED with more than 100 Lumens for more than an hour.

Surefire's X-series are all too large for me. I'm not a fan of the larger Streamlights either, but the TLR-3 seems to be a good size/price and the output exceeds what I'm looking for (110L / 90 mins).

BTW, did L3/EOTech buy Insight (or start re-badging Insights under their own name)? I'm seeing EOTech lights that are identical to Insight lights. I like the XML / X series from Insight (and the similar models from EOTech) for their size and they seem to have LED versions of both the XML and the M3, so they seem to be my best choice (the M3 is on the large side). I'm not crazy about CR2 batteries, but I can live with them if the size justifies it (batteryjunction has good deals on CR2 batteries).

S&W has a tiny (appears to be re-badged from someone) LED light too, but I don't know who makes it or how reliable it is.

Anyone know anything or have a suggestion?

Sparky102183

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a tlr-3 on my LW champion operator as my bedside gun and i love it. It's BRIGHT and for a polymer housing is
pretty durable. I just bought an m&p 9c and am fixing to put it on it as my ccw.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a tlr-3 on my LW champion operator as my bedside gun and i love it. It's BRIGHT and for a polymer housing is
pretty durable. I just bought an m&p 9c and am fixing to put it on it as my ccw.

I'm honestly considering CCW with a weapon-mounted light. I'd have to cough up the money for a custom holster, but if I've already got to carry something larger than my J-frame, then why not go the extra few ounces and inch or so on under the rail.

Sparky102183

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bravo Concealment has a kydex with an iwb option for $65. It's like a raven but cheaper with a quicker turn around time. I think i'm gonna order one

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tinkered with one of these on an M&P and was pretty impressed with the ergos and basic performance.

http://www.crimsontrace.com/products?cat=30

It doesn't compete with my TLR-1 for brightness and I like the TLR's pattern better. But it was way more compact and streamlined for carry. It has a great (maybe optimum) brightness for dark/close indoor use and still enough for short distances outdoors. The beam pattern is pretty wide with a lot of spill and no real clearly defined hot spot.

Personally I like a more clear hot spot because at close ranges it can be used as a quick aiming method. But I'd definitely consider the CT for concealed carry.

ETA: ...not rail mounted exactly, but thought I'd share anyway.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just put a TLR-4 on my XD and I really like it. I have had it less than a week so I can't vouch for durability but the light is bright, the controls are easy to use & accessible, it was really easy to attach and I like its size - I have no complaints thus far.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you cancel the order to Bud's? I only ask because the TLR-3 is on sale at Midway right now for $69.99.

Nevermind Bud's has them beat - NICE!

Latest posts

Top Bottom