Smith Wesson 5906 Curved or Straight Grip?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So what is the proper 3rd Gen S&W grip type:

• Straight Grip for me

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • I prefer the Curved Grip

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • I'm a degenerate and like the mushy Hogue overmolded grip.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was on the S&W forum and complained about how poorly I shoot a 3rd gen S&W. Couple of the commentators suggested I switch to a straight grip instead of the curved grip on the mainspring. It arrived today, and there is a noticeable difference in comfort and grip, now I feel like my whole hand is gripping the gun, rather than the heel doing most of the work. I'm gonna test it out tonight maybe. In the meantime, what do you all who've been around the 3rd gen guns think?

Last edited:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always said that the Smith and Wesson 3rd gen series of pistols is/was one of the best, but so often overlooked, handguns of all time.

Their demise was the fact that they were introduced right around the same time as the much lighter, easier to operate and maintain, but yet, much uglier, plastic pistol from Austria, that is still breaking records (and hearts) of every other firearm manufacturer in the world.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks: Curved grip
Comfort: Straight grip

One of the best semi-auto line of handguns in the history of semi-auto handguns.

I’d say it would depend on the model and the size of one’s hands. The 5903 I had came with both straight and curved back straps, and I much preferred the curved version, and I take a size L glove. I’ve also had about half a dozen other 3rd Gen models, with a couple having straight back straps, but I found those less comfortable. My gf has smaller hands, and she loves the straight-ish back strap on her 3913. Not so much the other 3rd Gens I had. To each his or her own.

I also prefer the curved A1 back strap on the 1911 platform.

Latest posts

Top Bottom