Smokin' day...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just salted & seasoned up an 8 1/2 pound pork butt. Got the smoker goin', it's showin' 266 right now. I have trouble keeping my heat down low enough... I'd rather keep it at 220-225, but there's no real good way to regulate it. It's a pellet-burner, and it has presets. Putting it at 225 gets me fluctuating usually between 230-270. If I set it at 180, I'll run 160 most of the time. :( I may experiment with just keeping the lid a tiny bit cracked today. I DID have some low-quality pellets once that burned cooler, but alot more ash and less smoke. The temp was more where I wanted it, but I don't want to waste pellets and have more by-product and less flavor. So I'm still working on things...

The reason for the fluctuation is the auger speed - it's intermittent at the lower speeds, so it feeds and stops, feeds and stops. It doesn't actually monitor the temp, it just has presets based on factory settings. The funny thing is, though, even using manufacturer pellets (Traegar, which are not considered very good), it doesn't cook where I want it.

Since I've been writing this post, I'm at 252F. Gonna go crack the lid a bit... butt goes on at 8, ribs about 10 or 11.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm getting better temps now... cracked the lid about 3/4", sitting at 243 and pretty steady for a little while now. I'm pretty happy with that.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I struggle some with fluctuating temps in my wood burner because of the wind here. Vents and damper are never adjusted the same from one cooking day to the next.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have buckboard bacon curing it comes out of the brine tomorrow then into the smoke on Tuesday. Not sure how I'm going to keep it cool enough to cold smoke :|

Latest posts

Top Bottom