Smokin' day...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unreal....

This is the 2nd time this has happened to me - once in a while you get a pork butt that just WILL NOT COOK. Most of the time, I'm cooking a butt for between 5 and 7 hours to reach my ideal temp, which is 204.

This one today took me a full 11 1/2 hours, and I STILL pulled it off at 199F. It's still amazing, the bark is slightly thicker, which I don't mind a bit... that chewy, sweet/salty bark is almost the whole reason I do this. But it's just sooooo soooo strange to once in a while get one that takes so long to cook. Can really throw a wrench in any plans you have - my parents had come up and while I did get to share a rack of ribs I threw on as an afterthought, they had to leave a couple hours before the pork butt was done. What a bummer.

Just really strange. Temps and all were the same as always, essentially, but this one just would not cook. Anyone else run into this sometimes? This is the 2nd time it's happened to me, out of maybe a dozen times.

190 is done. As was mentioned, they all have a personality. The stall at 170 is typical. Sometimes that stall lasts much longer than other times. I usually cook with the plan being to be done 4-5 hours beforehand. If it takes longer, then I'm still fine. If it finishes like I plan, then put it in an ice chest with warm towels on the top. It will stay hot for at least 6 hours in an ice chest like that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you guys experiencing the stall deboning the butt, and removing the majority of fat?
I debone, roll the butt out with a fillet cut, and then roll back up and tie with cotton twine. I leave some fat for flavor, but remove most of it. On occasion, leave some crushed garlic and Cajun spices in the middle. Very little stall.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you guys experiencing the stall deboning the butt, and removing the majority of fat?
I debone, roll the butt out with a fillet cut, and then roll back up and tie with cotton twine. I leave some fat for flavor, but remove most of it. On occasion, leave some crushed garlic and Cajun spices in the middle. Very little stall.

Never done it like that. Gonna have to try it! I do trim as much fat as I can get at and remove the gland if it's there, but it has enough fat inside for me doing them the conventional way.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not remove the bone. I do fat side up, and I don't trim at all. Indirect, with the heat shield in place. Cook at 260.

When we're cooking butts, butts are placed fat side up, and when the bone pulls out, it's done.

When my wife and I did the Okla BBQ thing on weekends, time is key to getting things done. Deboning, and removing fat solves the stall. Of course we had to use the Texas Cheat, by wrapping in foil to speed up the process.

Latest posts

Top Bottom