So ... LoneWolf'49 is in SSSOOOOOO much trouble now ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been, my boy, I think you are a YANKEE. Have you never eaten "soul food?"

assets.shitbrix.com_hashed_silo_content_050_6ec_270_resized_yo0674e4d67a092309650d4afd4d464187.jpg

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife buys those at Reasor's in Broken Arrow. I thought they were "freeze dried" not fried.

Hmmmm ... maybe that 's it, but I thought it said they were fried. The only ingredients are whole okra pods, non-hydrogenated canola oil and sea salt.

Google okra chips, looks like it might be it. There are instructions on how to do it

Ohhhhhh ... OK ... Let me do that! Thanks!! :D

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okra, how do I love thee?

Let me count the ways.

Fried

Steamed

Boiled

Raw

Pickled

And no doubt the form that started this thread. I'll probably know before sundown tomorrow.

Closest thing to soul food for me and for lots of Oklahomans. (Am I the only one who doesn't like the term "Okie?")

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK ... the quest continues but here's what I know as of right now. I dunno if the ones we got were dehydrated, freeze-dried, fried or baked, or some combination of those techniques and there doesn't seem to be any consensus -- people are talking about them using all those terms interchangably so it's hard to tell.

The only "recipe" I've found that sounds even close to what we bought is this one ... http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/06/roasted-okra-chips-from-mastering-the-art-of-southern-cooking.html although the okra we bought was whole (even the tops are edible).

I'm wondering if cutting the okra diagonally and dusting with a little cornstarch before roasting in a really hot oven (like 400F) on a rack might do the trick and keep them from being mushy or damp. I "feel" an experiment coming ... :)

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I googled okra chips and looked at images it showed whole okra, but never seeing them before I have no clue. I will be looking for some around here thou

Latest posts

Top Bottom