Solar Energy System

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
JB, are you looking to have power in case of a natural disaster (ice storm = power loss, tornado damage, SHTF, etc) or are you looking to have a system to help reduce costs of utilities. IMO, for the former, I would get a 1000 gallon or so propane tank and have it hooked up to the house while having a 6500 watt portable generator (Honda EU6500) setup to be wired directly to the house. You would have all your gas and electric needs covered. For the latter, I would look at a combination of wind and some solar.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a friend that lives totally from wind power. He is on the grid as well.
they buildt an underground home on a steep hillside, overlooking a canyon that looks into a river bottom, so he has a great view. Each room has a window to the view.
Here is the downside. They have to maintain large banks of battery's, that feed an inverter that converts the DC voltage to AC 120. All expensive.
They have a very nice wood burning stove that hooks into their central heat system.
If all else fails like extended clouds, etc, they still have the grid, but typically never get a bill. They do sell back to the power company's.
Keep in mind that the power company's only buy back power at the same rate they sell it to the consumer before they mark it up for profit.

Overall, they mostly live off the grid. It will be many years before they see a payback, but if its going to be a cabin in the woods, for weekend visits, I'd go that direction, with a generator backup.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
A BIG "Thank you" to everyone for your responses. I appreciate your help (and when you are guests in my camp, I'll make sure you get an extra portion of gruel.) ha ha

Seriously guys, THANKS!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom