Sound Dampening

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Anyone got any experience reducing the echo in a room? I have a 20x40 above ground storm shelter at my work. When it gets full of people the noise is crazy. I know about putting foam sheets on the walls, but I'm looking for a more informed opinion or advice on where to buy stuff.

Thanks.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is the storm shelter just concrete walls? I would think anything (drywall, foam, fabric) would help if that is the case. Also the flooring is as important as anything. Is it tile, concrete, wood, laminate...?

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Is the storm shelter just concrete walls? I would think anything (drywall, foam, fabric) would help if that is the case. Also the flooring is as important as anything. Is it tile, concrete, wood, laminate...?

Yes, it's basically a solid concrete pillbox, albeit state of the art. We are trying to do this on a budget, and we also don't want to carpet the floors. I was thinking about hanging sheets of foam from the ceiling, which is 12 feet high or so. As well as putting some on the walls, but don't want to spend a ton of money without results.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a $0.02 idea off the top of my head:

Egg cartons - either mounted flat on the ceiling or, if that doesn't work, then mounted so as to make short hanging curtains from the ceiling.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
McMaster-Carr has a lot of industrial-type sound-deadening material. www.mcmaster-carr.com

Look for some acoustic panels for the walls and ceilings, and don't forget the floor. Lots of heavy-duty floor coverings that offer decent sound absorption, too.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look into Auralex....or something similar.
It's kind of an egg carton shaped acoustic foam. It's what we use in the studio and works great.

Latest posts

Top Bottom