Spent a few thousand today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of failed AC units from a lot of makers.

Goodman is not the most robust unit available, but the price makes them popular.
I would give you 15 years on a Goodman.
After that your on borrowed time.

Which may or may not be a bad thing. I replaced a 30 year old Rheem recently. The difference in efficiency may have cost me more than the additional life was worth.

ShaneP

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Goodman is a nice unit. Not the best as far as features and other comforts come, like low rpm fan blades that are quieter or compressor blankets, but still a solid unit. I would not hesitate to put one in my home. They are closer to middle or low middle, but are better than others like Armstrong or Payne etc. Current models are more quiet than the older, say 10 SEER units. DOE implemented new efficiency ratings that are supposed to take affect next year (IIRC). I believe the new standard is 14.3 SEER2, which is comparable to 15 SEER. I don't know the difference, haven't looked into it actually. I don't do residential or light commercial stuff, only know because my mom and BIL work at a HVAC distributor. As someone else stated, they're owned by Daikin, and have the Amana line as a next tier level, and the Daikin as the premium line.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just had to have a condenser unit installed in my daughter's home while she was away on vacation. I was leaning hard towards an American Standard unit but the guy I had do it steered me to Amana. He said the American Standard are definitely first rate and he'd have no issues at all with it, but Amana has the same warranty except for the compressor. The compressor is a lifetime warranty as long as you register it and are the original owner. Saving a few dollars and US made was icing on that cake.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a new system a couple weeks ago too.

We moved into a 2 year old house 8 years ago. We’ve had to have the heat and air guys out to work on our system on average 3 times a year. You can do the math and see it was costing me a fortune. I decided I was tired of slow paying for a p-o-s system and just bit the bullet. When they pulled out the old system they checked it and noticed it was a 16 year old system. The jackwagon who built the house put a cheap azz used old junker in. Dude is dead. Probably good for me that he is. Some people really suck.
Bought our house 14 years ago. Furnace was slowing down the water heater and furnace were no doing so good so we called our local HVAC people that maintain everything and they put in a New Amana Furnace and Central AC unit and a Brad White Defender water heater and a new Water Softener. Wife was here for the install and when I got home I saw the units were all commercial ones. The price quoted earlier was for $22,000. They said that because we were customers for 14years they gave us all commercial HD units for $17K. I'm glad we bought the $95. a year maintenance up front. All I can say is Wow!

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a new system a couple weeks ago too.

We moved into a 2 year old house 8 years ago. We’ve had to have the heat and air guys out to work on our system on average 3 times a year. You can do the math and see it was costing me a fortune. I decided I was tired of slow paying for a p-o-s system and just bit the bullet. When they pulled out the old system they checked it and noticed it was a 16 year old system. The jackwagon who built the house put a cheap azz used old junker in. Dude is dead. Probably good for me that he is. Some people really suck.
Jackwagons usually start with the Realtor.

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always said, I can live without heat before I can live without AC. When it's cold, you can put on layers of clothing, wrap up in blankets and get out of the elements and you'll be ok.

When it's 110° in the shade, and you strip off butt nekid as the day you was born, you're STILL hot!
Now that’s something I don’t wanna see
1657683515590.png

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was a kid we used to have the beds in front of the windows. At night when you kicked on the attic fan the draw through the window would almost blow you off the bed. I can tell you hot weather is not a recent invention.
Our beds were in front of the windows as well. With the old sash weight windows that would open top and bottom, the hot air exiting the top window would draw in cooler air at the bottom. I usually slept with my pillow on the window sill to catch the slight breeze.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are, but to be fair - our homes are designed for A/C. Windows, ceiling height, porches - no thought given to the 100 temps, as A/C makes it go away.

The "old folks" would get up in the dark, work half a day, eat dinner, rest up and then hit it again later as it cooled off. Many slept on the porch during summer.

Might be good to think about, before the power really goes out.
Thus the adobe brick houses in the deserts with wood or even more adobe for another overhang over it for shade. The hot sun being protected from the second skin was cool to the touch instead of a brick oven.

Latest posts

Top Bottom