Squirrels and Rabbits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikerHT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK OSA Preppers,

What is the best time of year to 'harvest' these little critters for food? I was always told to wait until after the first 'hard freeze' in order to allow the freeze to kill out the 'something'. But I was never told what exactly a 'hard freeze' was. Nor the 'something'.

Also, what would be the best way to store them...freezing, dehydrating?

Thanks.

Sent from HT's iPad using Tapatalk HD

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We are lots of both growing up. The old timers around home always said not to kill either in a month without an r. I learned on squirrels to wait till nov 15th or so in Arkansas so the ticks and fleas are dead. On the rabbits you can get rabbit fever if you kill them to early at least that's what I've always been told. I clean them and leave them whole place a little water with a few and freeze. Enjoy squirrel dumplings or rabbit stew later.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
May 15th thru dec 31 for squirrels. ...and whenever rabbit season begins and ends. Any other time is illegal.

With that said, best time is fall for squirrels and anytime it snows for rabbits...

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately, "rabbit fever" is still plenty catchable when it's cold. The idea was, if it gets really cold, it'll kill off the sick rabbits. Doesn't always work. I've known several people that got it it, (tularemia), and it almost killed my Grandpa and uncle. Use rubber gloves when cleaning game, and if your wife's preparing the meat, she should. too. Any open wound or scratch can lead to infection. I've never heard of anyone personally getting it from squirrels, but I suppose you can.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tularemia

I make it a practice to keep a pair of rubber gloves in my hunting coat, and extras in my bag. Clean, safe, cheap insurance.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If you're shooting them from a prepping stand point, what difference does it make what the season is? Food is food. Someone said in the noodling thread that noodling would be a good skill to learn from a prepping stand point. If I'm looking for catfish to feed the fam, I'm not following the "skills" approved by the ODWC and using just my hands, I'll use some kind of tool, barb, spear, sharp stick, etc.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you're shooting them from a prepping stand point, what difference does it make what the season is? Food is food. Someone said in the noodling thread that noodling would be a good skill to learn from a prepping stand point. If I'm looking for catfish to feed the fam, I'm not following the "skills" approved by the ODWC and using just my hands, I'll use some kind of tool, barb, spear, sharp stick, etc.

Yep yep I agree. When shtf all rules, regs n laws go away. I actually think most game will get real scarce really fast if we all go in survival mode.

Somewhere along the way I read that an 80 acre wood lot could have about 20 resident squirrels depending on hardwoods, water and predators. Thats really not much to eat lol.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me, it's when I get a chance to go which will be after deer gun season closes. This year I have a new 17HM2 rifle I'm dieing to try out on the little limb chickens. :50cal:

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a kid we ate canned squirrel. Usually 3 to a jar when canning. Looked strange to open the pantry and see jars of headless squirrel bodies looking at you.. Sure were good though. Usually ate them in dumplings, but sometimes mother would fry them. Good eating.

Latest posts

Top Bottom