Squirrels and Rabbits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, if one were to want to raise rabbits for (meat) food...what type should he look for? How about the diet for them?

New Zealand whites or Florida whites are fairly popular. Badgebunny can give a couple other options. You buy bagged rabbit pellets because if you feed them very much green grass or green veggies it will give them scours and could kill them. Alfalfa or Timothy hay is popular to feed in addition to pellets.

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I recently got a #110 Conibear trap im going to experiment with. This trap is relatively light weight, if I get to where I like it I plan to keep about 4 in my BOB. They are a kill trap and are reusable, unlike a wire snare...normally a wire snare is only able to catch once. The #110 Conibear is sized for squirrels and other similar sized animals. Any Conibear larger then the 110 will require tools for setting.

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
And it should be noted that Conibears are illegal to use in Oklahoma without proper licensing. Of course I understand if SHTF that won't matter.

Wow thanks for that, I wasn't planning on running a trap line but never considered it being illegal either. Makes setting a few up for training a little freaky. I'm going to search for links on trapping in Oklahoma and laws.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Wow thanks for that, I wasn't planning on running a trap line but never considered it being illegal either. Makes setting a few up for training a little freaky. I'm going to search for links on trapping in Oklahoma and laws.

Read them carefully, there's a 1001 ways to get the Oklahoma trapping regs wrong:)

Edit: I say this jokingly of course, when compared to other states and our surrounding states, our trapping regs look like they were created by PETA

Latest posts

Top Bottom