Squirrels and Rabbits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
May 15th thru dec 31 for squirrels. ...and whenever rabbit season begins and ends. Any other time is illegal.

With that said, best time is fall for squirrels and anytime it snows for rabbits...

I believe that is may 15- Jan 31. Rabbit is Oct 1-Mar 15 for cotton tails and swamp rabbits.

Read them carefully, there's a 1001 ways to get the Oklahoma trapping regs wrong:)

Edit: I say this jokingly of course, when compared to other states and our surrounding states, our trapping regs look like they were created by PETA

This is pretty true. And as long as we are speaking legalities, trapping season is Dec 1st- Feb 28th. Seems like there are plenty of people trying to get the laws changed in Oklahoma in regards to conibears. I hope they do one day soon. It is hell trying to trap beaver in a foot hold.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I believe that is may 15- Jan 31. Rabbit is Oct 1-Mar 15 for cotton tails and swamp rabbits.

This is pretty true. And as long as we are speaking legalities, trapping season is Dec 1st- Feb 28th. Seems like there are plenty of people trying to get the laws changed in Oklahoma in regards to conibears. I hope they do one day soon. It is hell trying to trap beaver in a foot hold.

Yes it is, and it take a double spring so large it's not really useful for anything but beaver around here. I'd be all for having written permission from a landowner to allow the use of coni's on their property. There's a nuisance/professional trapping permit/class that can be taken, which allows a person to use them legally..................I've been trying for several years to find one that's offered. After many phone calls, emails, etc, I gave up.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
There's a nuisance/professional trapping permit/class that can be taken, which allows a person to use them legally..................I've been trying for several years to find one that's offered. After many phone calls, emails, etc, I gave up.

Pretty good info here:

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/laws_regs/nco2.htm

Who do I contact to find more information on becoming a NWCO?

The ODWC training coordinator, David Deckard can be reached by phone at: 405-522-0871 or email: [email protected].

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A hard freeze = <30 for >10hrs. so I was told 50 yrs ago. It means the squirrels will have limited ticks and fleas (same for deer) and the rabbits are safer from catching rabbit fever. ANYTIME can be squirrel / rabbit time, some counties have 'NO CLOSED SEASON', but a summertime hunt with a couple squirrels in your bag and then battling the fleas can make for a miserable hunt. As stated above, ALWAYS wear rubber gloves when cleaning rabbits (hogs, too) and cook them well done. When cleaning, a white ring around the neck under the skin indicates infection for tularemia. Still safe to eat, but wash and cook very well.

Some fried tree rat, bunny, biscuits and gravy is some goooooooooooooood eatins. Of course, rat and bunny stew is always a good heater fro a cold, wintry day.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
A hard freeze = <30 for >10hrs. so I was told 50 yrs ago. It means the squirrels will have limited ticks and fleas (same for deer) and the rabbits are safer from catching rabbit fever. ANYTIME can be squirrel / rabbit time, some counties have 'NO CLOSED SEASON', but a summertime hunt with a couple squirrels in your bag and then battling the fleas can make for a miserable hunt. As stated above, ALWAYS wear rubber gloves when cleaning rabbits (hogs, too) and cook them well done. When cleaning, a white ring around the neck under the skin indicates infection for tularemia. Still safe to eat, but wash and cook very well.

Some fried tree rat, bunny, biscuits and gravy is some goooooooooooooood eatins. Of course, rat and bunny stew is always a good heater fro a cold, wintry day.

What are you referring to as......?
some counties have 'NO CLOSED SEASON'

Driller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are a kill trap and are reusable, unlike a wire snare...normally a wire snare is only able to catch once.

The three smaller strings on a guitar make pretty good snares and are reusable. The round anchor in the bottom end acts lets the wire slide easily, just set them short so you don't give them enough slack to get out. Tried the guitar, the snares were the most good I got out of it LOL.

Latest posts

Top Bottom