SSI Trust fund

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm jazzed to hear SSI is backed by the full faith and credit of the USA, just like the paper in my wallet.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone please convince me that David Stockman is wrong and Hobbes is right about the SSI trust fund being real.

Q: What will 10-year Treasurys yield in a year or five years?

A: I have no guess, but I do know where it is now (a yield of about 2 percent) is totally artificial. It's the result of massive purchases by not only the Fed but all of the other central banks of the world.

Q: What's wrong with that?

A: It doesn't come out of savings. It's made up money. It's printing press money. When the Fed buys $5 billion worth of bonds this morning, which it's doing periodically, it simply deposits $5 billion in the bank accounts of the eight dealers they buy the bonds from.

Q: And what are the consequences of that?

A: The consequences are horrendous. If you could make the world rich by having all the central banks print unlimited money, then we have been making a mistake for the last several thousand years of human history.

Q: How does it end?

A: At some point confidence is lost, and people don't want to own the (Treasury) paper. I mean why in the world, when the inflation rate has been 2.5 percent for the last 15 years, would you want to own a five-year note today at 80 basis points (0.8 percent)?

If the central banks ever stop buying, or actually begin to reduce their totally bloated, abnormal, freakishly large balance sheets, all of these speculators are going to sell their bonds in a heartbeat.

That's what happened in Greece.

Here's the heart of the matter. The Fed is a patsy. It is a pathetic dependent of the big Wall Street banks, traders and hedge funds. Everything (it does) is designed to keep this rickety structure from unwinding. If you had a (former Fed Chairman) Paul Volcker running the Fed today 7/8- utterly fearless and independent and willing to scare the hell out of the market any day of the week - you wouldn't have half, you wouldn't have 95 percent, of the speculative positions today.

Q: You sound as if we're facing a financial crisis like the one that followed the collapse of Lehman Brothers in 2008.

A: Oh, far worse than Lehman. When the real margin call in the great beyond arrives, the carnage will be unimaginable.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/davi...ld-anything-but-cash-now-2012-3#ixzz1oqQ3Zw3W
http://www.businessinsider.com/david-stockman-youd-be-a-fool-to-hold-anything-but-cash-now-2012-3

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone please convince me that David Stockman is wrong and Hobbes is right about the SSI trust fund being real.

the way i've seen it laid out:
the "trust fund" is almost a misnomer. as it's an accounting entry for debt. OAS/DI payments come out of the treasury and the SOT converts OAS/DI bonds to "pay" for it. FICA taxes are converted into GIS bonds and the cash goes into general revenue.
though the treasury funds to pay the OAS/DI checks start as t-bills, so you just end up swapping GIS bonds for t-bills in the long run.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, LightningCrash, but an accounting entry is not terribly reassuring. I think we all need to plan on it not being there when we need it.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well technically just about everything except the cash in your pocket or something tangible like gold is an accounting entry.
Your checking account is an accounting entry.
If you own savings bonds at treasureydirect.gov it's an accounting entry.
If you own paper savings bonds it's not.

Ultimately the SS trust fund is backed with the "full faith and credit" of the US just as the bonds that are sold to individual investors both here and abroad.
That's not to say they won't cut your benefits if they decide to, just that the fund is a lawful trust fund.
It does exist.

In the long run what I think will happen is the .gov will print a lot of money, much more than right now to pay those benefits.
The majority of politicians are far to cowardly to just cut your benefits or raise your taxes and actually tell you about it while they are doing it.
But monetary inflation solves several of their problems and they don't get blamed directly.

1. They can print a lot of money and pay your benefits with dollars that are worth say 20% less in purchasing power.
2. It's not just SS beneficiaries, they can pay all the government bondholders back with inflated money as well.

It's a very good thing when you can borrow $100 and only pay back $80 in value when it's due.

Plan accordingly.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, considering what the Government did with the bondholders of GM and Chrysler, I wouldn't be too optimistic about the .gov debt and the "security" of holding bonds.

On top of all that, the powers-that-be at GM just bought a bunch of Peugot (a french automaker) who was seriously in debt themselves. So, our money going into the government coffers from all those "programs" and to at least one of the automakers is probably being frittered away, the latter being to a French company. Speaking of frittered, since the government is indebted through every plan for providing for everyone on need with disability and cell phones and food stamps, etc., isn't it likely that nothing will be fixed until Government stops spending?

Oh, but wait. Career politicians need to be re-elected. So, they promise the lazy and inept "goodies" for their votes.

Let's see, wasn't it George W. Bush that lobbied for reforms to SSI to allow people to at least control some of their money?

Oh, and wasn't it George W. Bush that wanted to reform Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to help prevent what ultimately happened with the housing and banking markets?

Wasn't it the media and the Democrats that cried foul on both accounts, claiming that everything was just hunkie-dorie and to leave those well managed entities to be left alone?

Latest posts

Top Bottom