stance/grip help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LurchYNWA

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently got into handguns and have been shooting a Glock 36 and a Glock 19. With both guns I am shooting a 5"x8" target at 5-7 yds, but the bullets usually hit left of center.

Is there something I can do to fix this or am I being too picky? I want to get this fixed at the short distance before I move the target out and only increase my frustration.

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Will Andrews at H&H has pistol classes on Sunday nights. He has several levels starting at beginner and working up from there.

It'd be money well spent for a beginning shooter to get some professional advice and stop bad habits before they begin.

It could be several things but your trigger control is the most likely culprit.

LurchYNWA

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I have been slowing down to make sure I squeeze the trigger and not yank it back. I was once told that it should be "surprise" when the gun fires instead of trying to anticipate it. That made sense to me and helped.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's common with Glocks (especially if you're new to shooting plastic guns) and to handguns in general if you're using the first joint of your index finger to pull the trigger in stead of the pad/tip of your finger.

Here's a couple of PDFs that gives you some pointers as to what's wrong based on where you're hits on the target are ending up:

http://www.targetshooting.ca/docs/Pistol_Shot_Analysis.pdf

http://www.targetshooting.ca/docs/grp-analysis.pdf

Here's a video that help with stance/grip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

Todd Jarret is good place to start, but proper training from a place like TDSA or USSA is even better (also Magpul Dynamics "Art of Dynamic Handgun" is a great video).

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
definitely get into a class of some sort. It will help lay the foundation and just like others have said you wont start any bad habits if taught correctly in the beginning. I know USSA has the "intro to handgun marksmanship" its a 1 day class and i believe is $195. you also need around 350rds of ammo for your weapon.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have been shooting for years, not religiously alot of people but definately more in the past year and just started asking questions. Here are some answers that I got. Now that I have seen some improvement I just want to shoot more.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently got into handguns and have been shooting a Glock 36 and a Glock 19. With both guns I am shooting a 5"x8" target at 5-7 yds, but the bullets usually hit left of center.

Is there something I can do to fix this or am I being too picky? I want to get this fixed at the short distance before I move the target out and only increase my frustration.

Adjust the sights???

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Adjust the sights???

Seeing as how he said he recently got into handguns, I'd say not to do this until he's sure its the gun and not the shooter.

I've seen a lot of folks who are new to glocks shoot low and to the left due to the weirdness of shooting a plastic gun with glock's weird plastic-on-plastic contact trigger.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seeing as how he said he recently got into handguns, I'd say not to do this until he's sure its the gun and not the shooter.

I've seen a lot of folks who are new to glocks shoot low and to the left due to the weirdness of shooting a plastic gun with glock's weird plastic-on-plastic contact trigger.

OK so adjust the sights and have an experienced shooter shoot the gun too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom