stance/grip help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Most shootings occur under 7 yards so I have read. You don't even need sights ot hit a body size target at that range.

What you're basically saying is most people should not own a gun until they get proper training? As most people that own a gun don't/can't shoot to POA such as my wife.

In that line of thinking, then whats the dif if the sights are properly centered and he jerks it a little left, if he needs to shoot to defend his life?

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In that line of thinking, then whats the dif if the sights are properly centered and he jerks it a little left, if he needs to shoot to defend his life?

Oh great, we got a professional shooter in here now! :giveup:

No difference really. I realize that I am kid of talking in circles too. :anyone:

My line of thinking is that most people with a gun are never ever going get the practice time and/or trianing to shoot it properly to POA so why not adjust the sights to where the POI is.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to shoot in the divison matches while I was in the Marine corps and the best advice/help I ever got was this drill:

Make sure your handgun is clear and aim at a target in your garage, backyard, wherever. have a friend stand near your side then have him/her hit the muzzle of your pistol with their palm just hard enough to move the firearm and you back a little bit. Aim in the whoel time they are doing this, then tell them to randomly "miss" the muzzle with thier palm.

If your like me, you will anticipate the hit and when they miss you will damn near fall forward. I did this drill for hours on end and my shooting improved drastically. Keep working on it and you will get it down. A class is definetely a good idea too but nothing can replace practice.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I should have added that the purpose of that drill above to prevent you from anticipating the shot and letting it be a suprise each time you fire. My shots were always high and left and once I got this down I was much closer to center. If your confident that your aiming correctly, this drill may help but if your not sighting in correctly then this drill won't do you much good.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i watched your video of the shooting jtischauser and that looks like alot of fun. one of these days i am going to have to get a hi cap gun and do that. that looks like something i could get addicted to.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i watched your video of the shooting jtischauser and that looks like alot of fun. one of these days i am going to have to get a hi cap gun and do that. that looks like something i could get addicted to.

You don't need no hi cap gun to shoot these matches. They have divisions fir revolvers, 1911's, semi autos with mag capacity limited to 10 rounds and then you have the high cap divisions for the guys that don't like reloading as much.

Oil capital and USSA have a bunch if really fun matches for shotgun, rifle, pistol or a combination of all 3. Take a look at my thread about Oklahoma and surrounding area match list in the competitions and upcoming events section. I have a list of every match that I'm aware of locally. If you want to try a high cap you are welcome to borrow one if my Glocks. I am planning to be at USSA on the 3rd Saturday in June. I hope to see you out there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom