stance/grip help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you aren't a well experienced pistol shooter and your new handgun "shoots low or left or both" DO NOT ADJUST THE SIGHTS. Have someone else who is experienced shoot it first.

I've been shooting handguns since I was young, but never had any professional or experienced training as far as shooting goes and I still have to concentrate to make sure I shoot properly. If i'm not careful, I can group them perfectly at like 4-6" low every time. If I stop and remember everything I've learned or read, I can put them right around the center, but if I just step up there and rattle a few off, it's almost a guarantee they'll be low.

Do this with you pistol unloaded. If your handgun is flat along the top of the slide, take an empty shell casing and put it up there. The taller and narrower the casing the better (like .223, not .45). Hold the gun in one hand, extended like you were going to shoot, with the shell in the other. Put the shell on the top of the gun and grip it with both hands. Then dry-fire it. Try to do it without ever knocking the shell off.

Also, you can get some snap-caps, and have a friend load your magazine with one or two of them in random places. Fire the gun like normal, paying attention to the sights. Any twitching or moving you have will be VERY apparent when you get to a snap cap. Keep that up until you can't see any movement when you get to one of the snap caps.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you aren't a well experienced pistol shooter and your new handgun "shoots low or left or both" DO NOT ADJUST THE SIGHTS. Have someone else who is experienced shoot it first.

now several of you have said DONT ADJUST YOUR sights? What if this guy is using this for his CCW and takes your advice leaving his sights off to the low left obviously because his trigger control is flawed but nontheless the gun still does not shoot to POA. So now with his sights off he has to use his pistol to defend his life BEFORE he gets out and gets enough training and practice to remedy his problems with his trigger finger. As a new shooter do you think he is going to rember to hold high and right before he jerks the trigger low left??? No sir he's going to send send his rounds right over that bad guys right hip right before he gets himself shot!

If your are using this gun for personal defense don't be afraid to adjust your sights so you can hit what your shooting at then work on your teqhnique and fix the trigger control problem you are having and slowly move your sights back where they belong.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember you saying you shot indoors at HH a lot. I sometimes struggle with flinching or anticipating the bang and then shooting left when Im indoors. I like to wear a pair in inside the ear plugs as well as a set of muffs for any shooting I'm doing especially when I'm indoors where it's louder than normal. it's tough to train out your natural reactions to That bang. So Not hearing it helps me.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
now several of you have said DONT ADJUST YOUR sights? What if this guy is using this for his CCW and takes your advice leaving his sights off to the low left obviously because his trigger control is flawed but nontheless the gun still does not shoot to POA. So now with his sights off he has to use his pistol to defend his life BEFORE he gets out and gets enough training and practice to remedy his problems with his trigger finger. As a new shooter do you think he is going to rember to hold high and right before he jerks the trigger low left??? No sir he's going to send send his rounds right over that bad guys right hip right before he gets himself shot!

If your are using this gun for personal defense don't be afraid to adjust your sights so you can hit what your shooting at then work on your teqhnique and fix the trigger control problem you are having and slowly move your sights back where they belong.

In my opinion, fixing the problem at its core is much more important than putting a Band-aid on it. If you can't hit POI with a gun that is configured to do so properly, you shouldn't be carrying it (I'm not saying this gun is configured properly, the sights could very well be off - in which case, I stand by my earlier post of "let a more experienced qualified shooter shoot it first").

If the OP has time to take a day to drop the gun off with someone who can adjust the sights, then he has that same amount of time for one of the qualified folks on this board (or an instructor at H&H or somewhere else up that way) to teach him proper trigger control, grip, stance, etc...

Or for that matter, to watch one of the videos listed in this thread and practice some of those things at the range and see if his issue is still there.

If his grip isn't (or wasn't) consistent, then he faces the problem of all of his shots not being low/left all the time - then if you've adjusted the sights, you've caused your shot to be off part of the time.

If he's flinching or doing something else incorrectly, then with adrenalyn pumping under duress, he might not flinch and shoot too far to the right with the sights adjusted incorrectly.

The answer should never be to compensate for incorrect shooting, but to correct the shooting first, and then carry/shoot with confidence.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my opinion, fixing the problem at its core is much more important than putting a Band-aid on it. If you can't hit POI with a gun that is configured to do so properly, you shouldn't be carrying it (I'm not saying this gun is configured properly, the sights could very well be off - in which case, I stand by my earlier post of "let a more experienced qualified shooter shoot it first").

If the OP has time to take a day to drop the gun off with someone who can adjust the sights, then he has that same amount of time for one of the qualified folks on this board (or an instructor at H&H or somewhere else up that way) to teach him proper trigger control, grip, stance, etc...

Or for that matter, to watch one of the videos listed in this thread and practice some of those things at the range and see if his issue is still there.

If his grip isn't (or wasn't) consistent, then he faces the problem of all of his shots not being low/left all the time - then if you've adjusted the sights, you've caused your shot to be off part of the time.

If he's flinching or doing something else incorrectly, then with adrenalyn pumping under duress, he might not flinch and shoot too far to the right with the sights adjusted incorrectly.

The answer should never be to compensate for incorrect shooting, but to correct the shooting first, and then carry/shoot with confidence.

Sorry your wrong. :tounge2:

buckeye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is correct.

Let me tell you, as a musician with more than twenty years of experience, you don't mess with equipment to correct technique problems - it's a never ending spiral of frustration and bad habits. If a guy's not confident enough to hit POA with sights correctly positioned, he's not ready to carry.

Gradually adjusting a bad habit, weaning yourself off the crutch is a pipe dream. Every time you pull the trigger, you're either reinforcing good habits or bad. Under stress, you revert to habits - and with the 'adjust the sight' approach, it's anybody's guess what habits you'll revert to!

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If a guy's not confident enough to hit POA with sights correctly positioned, he's not ready to carry.

Most shootings occur under 7 yards so I have read. You don't even need sights ot hit a body size target at that range.

What you're basically saying is most people should not own a gun until they get proper training? As most people that own a gun don't/can't shoot to POA such as my wife.

Latest posts

Top Bottom