• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

North East OK Starret Vernier Height Guage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leo78lion

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Is this item for sale?
  1. For Sale
Sale Price
100$
111th and elm QT, 74011, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, United States
I have a Vernier height guage #454 made by Starrett. My father was a Mill Wright and owned this for his work with old machines. No im not sure exactly what it was used for..
Resized_20230224_130927.jpeg
Resized_20230224_130916.jpeg

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
No, I meant no aspersions by my reaction. I had the sudden realization that the things that have been significant to me and always been worth a check don’t necessarily carry much weight in time. My vintage Starrett tools mean the world to me because I was able to use them well like countless hands before mine. I’m pretty sure that with the advent of nitriding and QPQ, the days of beautiful tools with bone and charcoal color cased hardening are just about over. Doesn’t mean one is better or worse than another but it does signify significantly that an era is in the books. I remember watching an old head oil his mics and verniers with a little bottle of whale oil and having him explain that it was nearly unobtanium and and might last until he went out. Us green hands had to settle for virgin turbine oil. When I read the original post I had a vision of my own son posting an ad not unlike this one and not having an inkling of the memories of their use that follow me into a box. I have the twin of your height gauge patiently waiting for the next time of need to arise so it can do what it was made for with style.

Latest posts

Top Bottom