Stillwater schools eliminating resource officers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, BAPS is out on Monday, 03/31, for a teacher rally at the state capitol. They're asking for funding for an increase in personnel.

Are official resources are being used for that? For example: school transportation and/or fuel, no leave days (unless it was scheduled as a snow day or other non-professional day out of school at the beginning of the year), etc.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

RyanSixer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are official resources are being used for that? For example: school transportation and/or fuel, no leave days (unless it was scheduled as a snow day or other non-professional day out of school at the beginning of the year), etc.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

VM, I'm not positive on those. This day off wasn't scheduled until earlier this semester. They took a day off of spring break and are keeping us on campus an extra fifteen minutes a day for the foreseeable future. I'll find out about transportation around 2:00.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.baschools.org/vnews/display.v/ART/530b5d0100dc1?template=m
They will be taking buses and charging parents or students who want to go $6.50 plus $5.00 for a sack lunch. Teachers ride free as far as I know.

What if we rallied the rally?

The local approach in this area is the same however I will tell NO district will allow teachers to ride for free. I can assure you any superintendent worth his salt would not fall for that trap. Bixby posted the same letter to parents and it in fact said parents, students, and teacher would be charged I believe it was $4.50 for the gas and licensed bus drivers were volunteering their services to drive the buses free of charge.

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh no, 14 year olds are in the same school with 18 year olds...Have you ever been to the mall? I went to a school where the freshmen were with the seniors. We also had a principal who ruled with the iron hand as well. There wasn't bullying or "preying" on the young girls. Sometimes you have to spend a little money to make a little money. The Stillwater football field has hosted numerous events besides just Friday football games. It includes soccer, little league football, state playoff games etc. The $16 million will be covered in a short amount of time. It is the same argument people who were against giving the Thunder a tax break to come to OK and renovate the arena for $120 mil....It has paid off probably 10 fold.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Schools do not need an armed police force. They need to pull their heads out their asses. For the last 30 years the PTA & school boards have been so busy trying to protect the students that they put the students in danger. We need to take the gloves off and let kids be kids. Do away with zero tolerance policies and reintroduce corporal punishment. A large man standing in the hallway with a paddle will deter a lot of ill behavior.

I totally agree, And I am in no way bashing LEOs here but seriously, calling the police in over a school ground fight is just so ridiculous. Calling the police over bullying? Give me a break. People need to stand up to school admins with this zero tolerance crap, and to stop this teaching them to stand there and become a victim until the authorities come to help you crap, and teach their kids that if someone is saying hateful things don't sweat it, but if there is one speck of physical contact it's on like donkey kong and shits about to get real in the halls.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with the stadium, it looks great, but it does not get used for anything other than school stuff. Put some concerts in there, generate some funds from it. My issue is that they are not even listening to the parents on what they want.

As for the 9th graders in the high school- it is very different being at the mall and being in school day in, day out. I'm going to go ahead and admit to being a hypocrite here- when I was a senior, I had several freshman girlfriends. 9th graders should not be with 17 and 18 year olds. I moved midway through 10th grade, I have been to both types of high schools, and the 10-12 was more appropriate. Seniors always end up with classes with 9th graders, specifically electives. It generally does not work out well.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I totally agree, And I am in no way bashing LEOs here but seriously, calling the police in over a school ground fight is just so ridiculous. Calling the police over bullying? Give me a break. People need to stand up to school admins with this zero tolerance crap, and to stop this teaching them to stand there and become a victim until the authorities come to help you crap, and teach their kids that if someone is saying hateful things don't sweat it, but if there is one speck of physical contact it's on like donkey kong and shits about to get real in the halls.

LEOs have been used since the early 1980s. Get with it here. This is no new phenom. They serve a variety of services. Their physical presence in uniform is a preventive measure to some who will think twice before fighting. They serve as a real resource to students by building rapport with them on with daily contact. I found over the years using the right person for this provides students with an opportunity to see a different side to law enforcement. The city police car sitting in front of a building is a great first step in making the bad guys think twice before carrying out something awful. As for fights well some fights need police intervention. If a true assault is the issue parents often expect to see the aggressor investigated with a full report. Officers can often help inexperienced staff make quality decisions as to whether a law was broken. Resource officers assist with making break in reports of student cars. They provide the robber with something to think about before robbing cars on campus. We found break ins in cars, with or without robberies dropped a butt load after adding a RO with police car on campus. There are many many parents that see a great value in this position. I believe those of you that see this differently are in the minority.

Oh and the days of corporal punishment are almost over. Granted Oklahoma is a state that still allows it. That said a majority of districts have moved away from it. That is a generational thing I watched over the years. As a new generation of parents began they demanded corporal punishment be stopped via school board elections. I used the board some over the years but never without parent consent. The hassle to do so without contacting parents first is simply not worth it. One will quickly find they are alone with little to no support these days on corporal punishment. I happen to see a place for it as an option only with parent approval. That however is almost a thing of the past.

Latest posts

Top Bottom