Storing Blued Guns & Stopping Rust!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you use to prevent rust when you want to store a blued gun? Plain old Vaseline in the jar works great. Just clean the gun, smear the Vaseline on all exterior surfaces with a greasy rag and you can then safely store ‘em, worry free! Won’t hurt the woodwork either. And, it is a lot easier to get off than cosmoline too; a whole lot easier !

Last edited:

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you use to prevent rust when you want to store a blued gun? Plain old Vaseline in the jar works great. Just clean the gun, smear the Vaseline on all exterior surfaces with a greasy rag and you can then safely store ‘em, worry free! Won’t hurt the woodwork either. And, it is a lot easier to get off than cosmoline too; a whole lot easier !

I have used Ballistol over the years and kept the guns out of plastic boxes with good results.

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bore Stores. Just hit them with more 100% silicone spray every couple of years. No issues, no cleanup. Just pull them out and shoot.

I forgot to add that to my note...thanks. I have kept them in Bore Stores after wiping them down thoroughly with Ballistol since I found out about them. More convenient and better than Ballistol sprayed socks or towels ;-)

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I use ‘Rig’ for everyday protection and long term storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
*sniff* :cry3: sadly, I don't have enough firearms to worry about them rusting away in storage. Almost all of them get carried daily or perform some other duty that requires them to be readily available at a moment's notice. You know...a gun in every room of your house kinda duty? Everybody else does that too, right? :ugh2:

CGS1

I'm Retired, Do It Yourself.
Special Hen
Reaction score
ZCORR BAGS.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...-bags/vacuum-seal-storage-bags-prod42749.aspx
Air-tight, industrial-grade storage bags are treated with advanced Vapor Phase Corrosion Inhibitor (VPCI) inside to protect and preserve your valuable firearms during long term storage—from 5 years up to as long as 20 years. Non-toxic VPCI forms an invisible gas inside the laminated polymer-and-foil shell that bonds to the firearm’s metal surfaces and prevents corrosion from starting. Won’t harm optics, non-metal surfaces, or stock finishes. Bag has a one-way check valve that allows you to use any conventional vacuum cleaner hose to remove the air from the inside to help ensure maximum long-term protection. Puncture and tear resistant shell is completely flexible for easy storage in gun safes and hard cases. Press-to-close, air-tight zip-lock seal keeps out air, moisture, and contaminants, and stays sealed even in harsh environments. The U.S. Marine Corps uses the same technology for long-term storage of M16A2 rifles. Handgun model holds one large or two small handguns; Tactical Rifle is designed for an AR-15/M16/M4-type rifle with optic; Sporting Rifle/Shotgun model holds a long gun up to 54" long.
l_080-000-822_7.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom