Stuck choke tube

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theman4bran

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
My DIL has a weatherby SA08. The tube is stuck really tight. I’ve soaked the barrel end in PB blaster, Hoppes, oil etc. I have the barrel in a vice with oak jaws. Can’t put to much pressure on the barrel so I am leveraging against the rib. I’m putting quite a bit of pressure on it an using a heat gun in the process with no luck. It’s the Mobilchoke system which my research tells me that this is a common issue. Any other suggestions?
Kano Aero Kroil penetrating oil has never failed me

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Just tried the frozen barrel with a heat gun. No luck. For salt in the wound, I got the barrel a little high in the vice and missed the rib support. That mashed the rib down and tweaked it slightly to the side at the bend. It’s fixable so that’s no big deal but this thing still won’t budge!

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kroil penetrating oil is one of the best and Penefree is very good also. Ridge Tool makes a pipe nipple removal tool. It slips inside and then you turn it counterclockwise. There are three flats that expand out to grip the nipple. I used these for years and they work really well.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you could come up with a fitting for a barrel vise and use some rosin to hold barrel. Weld a good fitting choke tube wrench to a knocker for a rivet gun. A good rivet gun that is easy to control and not hit too hard is a must. Also go through a couple of the processes you've already tried it may just be on the edge of breaking loose.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm guessing that you looked at another choke tube you have, and you know if it is right- or left-hand thread. The reason I threw this out here is some of the H&K pistols are lefthand threaded for a suppressor.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a cheap vent rib 870 barrel with a stuck choke tube that wouldn’t break free. I recall reading that in some cases the barrel and choke tube threads can become locked together due to some combination of ammo and perhaps the choke being too loose or tight. I tried all sort of combos of penetrants and heat/cold to no avail. Bought and broke a choke removal tool from Brownells that will damage the choke, but promises to get it free. Later I found a company that sold a Bad A$$ choke removal tool, that really was the name of the tool. It looked really similar to a multi-spline stuck screw extractor. So, I ordered a set of them from Irwin. Even that wouldn’t budge the choke tube. I eventually cut my losses and shortened the barrel.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom