Stupid ATF Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carready

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
OAS Sponsor
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I sent one of the guys that helps me at my gun shop to the ATF question and answer meeting.... so ceracote question came up and ATF answer was that to ceracote a firearm requires the FFL to have a 07 manufacturer license since ceracoting a firearm is manufacturing a new firearm. This was questioned and the response was that it lengthened the normal life expectancy of the gun as originally made so it is now a new firearm and would need to be registered as such.... Any FFL knows where this is in the regs book? Just another stupid loophole.

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't help you with your question, but that answer about lengthening the life of the gun so needing an 07 manufacturer license to ceracote sounds ridiculous. This example isn't ceracoting, but using that reasoning as the guideline replacing any part that gets broken extends the life expectancy as originally made. Taking it to an ever greater extreme, so does performing routine maintenance. I hope someone who knows the answer can help you with this.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It isn't about "manufacturing a new gun" when you paint it. It's about making it more and more difficult for We the People to remain armed - and free.

Sometimes I wish the left dictator wannabes would just dispense with all the incrementalism they call progressivism and just go for disarmament so we can show them just how much we value our freedom.

Even though they will say that they would never subjugate us, it doesn't matter whether they are telling the truth or not. At the very least they will make it possible for the next tyrant to succeed.

Woody

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Your employee is correct. Make sure you sign up for bulletins and keep on top of Atf regs. The onus is on you, not them.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
image.png

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Holy smokes... so is this new? I mean, I see where it was updated last month, but this seems like a new thing to me. According to this, I can't even customize my OWN guns, such as changing out parts, or help my neighbor put a new barrel or handguard or whatever.

That's ****ing ludicrous.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Holy smokes... so is this new? I mean, I see where it was updated last month, but this seems like a new thing to me. According to this, I can't even customize my OWN guns, such as changing out parts, or help my neighbor put a new barrel or handguard or whatever.

I believe that's the entire idea. Make things as difficult as possible to dissuade ownership.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Customizing your own guns does not make you a dealer. The ATF reg applies to dealers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom