Sunday Swine Day - Part One

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Part two will be next Sunday, when I'll be doing a repeat of some of this for my mother's birthday.

For today... we just decided to invite our 4 closest neighbors over for dinner tonight. Unfortunately, it looks like my pork shoulder/butt is going to be done WAY WAY WAY too early today. We're not supposed to eat until about 6, but it's going to be done in the next couple of hours (it's not quite 10AM right now). Pork butts cook differently every time, so I've heard, but I was worried and didn't want to be running short and be forced to rely on the Texas Crutch to pull off the finish by dinnertime. This is an effective method, but it does have some downsides, especially if you're a bark-junkie.

So, last time (my first butt on Pork Tuesday), I had a butt that was around 6.8 pounds and needed very very little trimming. I ended up cooking it right at 12h or 12h15m or something. Pulled at temp of 203F as recommended by Meathead at AmazingRibs.com and it was absolutely PERFECT.

This time, I got a butt that was over 10 lbs, trimmed maybe a 1/2 lb or so. Someone here mentioned their last butt was 9 lbs and took 23 hours, so I was worried... my 6-lb'er took 2 hours per pound, so I wanted to make certain I had enough time to finish this 10-lb'er. I rubbed it up, wrapped in plastic wrap and put it back in fridge for an hour or so, then popped it in the smoker at 225-240 overnight starting about 1:00AM. It's now 9:53AM, and my Maverick ET-372 is reading 196F. 9 hours and she's almost done, in spite of being around 50% larger. <sigh>

So the butt's gonna be way early - probably too early, even, for the faux cambro to do me much good. However, that will leave plenty of room for the racks of ribs and armadillo eggs I'm going to be throwing on this afternoon. :D

It's kinda the same song, different verse, really... I feel like I'm posting the same pictures over and over again, although it's different episodes.

So here's where I'm at for this morning, so far. I'll post some pics up of the ribs and 'dillo eggs later on.

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Grillin_202014_027_zps5ead56bb.jpg

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Grillin_202014_042_zpsfe3853b1.jpg

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Grillin_202014_049_zps26816906.jpg

More to come...

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You need another "Close Friend", one that lives in Choctaw. One that could really help you out on the done too early butt! One that would not mind it being done to early. One that would always give you a honest opinion of the taste. One that would volunteer to taste everything you cook!

Your freaking killing me!!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hahaha! Yeah, too bad I'm so far out in the boonies, huh? :P

I leave the bone in... in that 3rd picture, you can see it just about due west of my temperature probe. If look due west from the probe, you'll see a small bright yellow circle about 3-4mm in dia, that is where the probe was all night. I moved it this morning wondering if I was too close to the bone. From that yellow probe-hole, the bone is straight SW about an inch.

Temp's at 199F! I figure another half-hour. Then I'll shut 'er down, clean the grate and drip-guard when it's cooled off, fire it back up around 2 and toss on the ribs, dillo eggs at ~4:30, and we'll be ready to eat at 6! :D

I think one of my neighbors was wanting me to do some chickens today, too... I need to call her and ask, so I can get them done by 4 to have room for eggs. :D

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wrap in two layers of foil, two old towels and place in cooler. It will absorb its own juices, stay fairly warm and will buy you 2-3 hours of "wait" time. The cooler should sans ice, beer or other subsidies. :)

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finished up quickly the last 2-3 degrees... here is the finished result!

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Grillin_202014_054_zpsa4514e67.jpg

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Grillin_202014_058_zps4d0daef4.jpg

Some pieces that fell off during removal... these are known as "Chef's Bonus". :D

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Grillin_202014_060_zpse9841aed.jpg

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Grillin_202014_063_zpsf137496c.jpg

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Grillin_202014_067_zpsccd03d16.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom