swing quick and fire!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That happens a lot when I hunt I have a short window of time to get on target and fire the weapon.
Last week:
See the bobcat and less than 2 seconds she will be out of sight into the brush the shot is 100 yards I am sitting in a tree .
Another she is in the brush and there is an opening the size of a football and she is at a jog this time 75 yards. I am standing over the other dead Bobcat.

Aim --Pow!

Reason I state that is I have a heavy 308. I shortened the 24" barrel and it is now 20.5".. swings easier and faster and is more accurate to boot.
My savage Axis 223 swings very quick. Really put the hurt on those 2 bobcats. 1 shot each DRT.

I can get eye position instantly with my bolt guns,, been wanting an AR. I suppose you shoulder it a little different.
I Bet some of those swing really quick being short..

You guys that hunt with an AR do you like them for quick acquisition.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They would be handy if I didnt have a can hanging off the end of it. I use them for quick follow ups and the ability to have a real bullet with a can. And no need to carry any more rounds than whats in the mag. Dont have to worry about wasting bullets on a diller or possum and running out.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a heavy barrel 700 in .308 that I had cut down to 20" as well. I can't say that I'm significantly faster on target with the 700. Most of my hunting involves the rifle prepositioned on shooting sticks or a rest of some sort. Granted my 700 has a non illuminated reticle scope with a very fine line reticle. I'm sure shots would be quicker with a reticle I can pick up faster.

I'll be hunting with an AR platform for the first time this month. Primary reason for this is the follow up shot capability. I've missed getting multiple pigs with my 700 due to the slower follow up shots. With it, I use the Quigley method. I wait for 2 or more idiots to line up and put 1 bullet through the bunch.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had an sks and it had some quick follow up shots.. but at running deer I could only get 5 shots off before it was gone out of sight .
Now I have got my antlered and antlerless with my bolt gun in the same day within seconds of each other.

I did find one reason the military may have went to 308 vs the 30-06.. that long action ,,I short stroked my 30-06 once resulted in CLICK!

Probably why the military is taught to cycle the bolt fast and hard.

I had a buddy Marine do that many times to my bolt gun..I said nothing.. but I was like WTF!

I keep liking the AR idea.
I think I want a no frills one with a 2-10x40 or something scope on it.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Re:cycling bolt fast and hard

My wife had a VZ-24 Mauser that had been sporterized and rechambered to 7mm-08. She had problem feeding / chambering new rounds. Took a while to realize that it was just the difference in force/strength I used vs what she did. Pointed that out and no more issues. Something about the way the feed and extractor worked that just made it not work well if run gently.

Latest posts

Top Bottom