Tackle Box Guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I had a snake or two climb up on the tube with me while fishing. Never felt I needed a gun for them.

I would just raise up my arms and let them explore. They would only be there a few seconds before they went back into the water.

It wasn't fun but it wasn't too scary either.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a snake or two climb up on the tube with me while fishing. Never felt I needed a gun for them.

I would just raise up my arms and let them explore. They would only be there a few seconds before they went back into the water.

Oh heck no!! I would’ e drowned though from all the pee in my waders pulling me under. 🤣

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

When I was a kid, I was swimming in Toledo Bend and had a water snake crawl across the air mattress I was on, and as far as I know, that air mattress might still be in Six Mile cove where I left it.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to tube fish hot and heavy in farm ponds and watersheds and in the hot dog days of summer I'd go at night........I'd get there a little before dark and try to memorize the bank and the tree shapes in my mind for reference before it got dark.

Never invested in a headlamp and would just put my mini Maglite in my mouth when changing lures and many times when the light was on I'd glance up and see the 'V' shaped wake of a water snake of some sort coming towards me........most of the time all I had to do was tap the water in front of them a time or two with my rod tip and they'd dive and I'd get back to fishing but every once in awhile it wouldn't phase them and I'd really have to slap the water hard several times before they'd finally get the point and go under within a couple feet of me.

The most rattled I ever was when tube fishing at night was when a beaver slapped his tail on the water about 8' in front of me, it was graveyard quite and all I could hear was my lure hitting the water somewhere out in front of me and the frogs croaking and then all of a sudden.......POW !!......I chewed back then when I fished and it scared me so bad I darn near swallowed a big wad of Levi Garrett. :)

I thought about getting some sort of .410 derringer as a tackle box / float tube gun a time or two but with me being a little on the frugal side I never did.

Last edited:

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Note: it's illegal to shoot into water on Corps of Engineer/state owned or most municipal lakes no matter what round your using.
Private waters are the only legal place you can do that, I think.
I was thinking it was illegal to carry on COE property, though it's been kinda fuzzy.

I found this article from 2018, don't know if anything has changed since then:
https://www.uslawshield.com/top-5-things-to-know-before-carrying-at-a-lake-in-oklahoma/
  1. License to Carry a Handgun, for Most Lakes in Oklahoma — Good news, Oklahoma has over 200 man-made lakes, bad news; the Corps of Engineers controls and operates over 90% of the recreational lakes in Oklahoma. Thank your Federal Government for our lakes that are primarily flood control lakes and secondarily recreational/fishing/hunting lakes. Unfortunately for self defense devotees, the Federal Government passed a regulation titled 36 CFR 327.13, outlawing the carry of firearms on Corps property or projects built by the Corps of Engineers, absent written permission from the District Commander. The penalty for violation is up to a $5,000 fine and or up to 6 months in jail for anyone other than a police officer carrying a firearm for self defense. There are exclusions to this draconian rule for hunting, and target practice at gun ranges on Corps property. Even though Corps property lakes are primarily public property, you cannot carry your firearm, on Corps property, under the authority of your Concealed Carry License (CCL). You can, however, carry your concealed pistol in a lake bag, backpack, and yes, even in your swim trunks at all State, municipal, and Federal parks. Be careful that the State or Federal Park is not connected to a waterway or lake built by the Corps of Engineers because the Corps of Engineers, considers its rules override state law, and the Corps is very jealous of their power and enforces their rules very strictly. Game Rangers know about the Corps of Engineers’ rules and will be happy to dole out a very fat federal ticket to the unwary. There are a few public lakes not built by the Corps of Engineers in Oklahoma, however, the overwhelming majority of lakes with a dam were built by the Corps of Engineers.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just found this from April 2020, haven't found whether the proposed rule went into effect yet:
https://www.newsweek.com/army-corps-engineers-hunting-firearms-1500156
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is proposing new rules that would expand access to firearms on federally managed water resource development projects, such as dams, locks, harbors and levees.

In mid-April, the corps outlined proposed regulations in the Federal Register that would remove a requirement that gun owners obtain written permission before carrying on water development sites. Currently, the requirement is only waived for hunters who unload their firearms between destinations and for patrons of shooting ranges.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just gonna throw this out there, but fishing for me = beer consumption. I don't mix alkyhol with guns and/or keys. But I've also never gone tube fishing and 98% of my fishing experience is off a boat dock on Texoma.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm just gonna throw this out there, but fishing for me = beer consumption. I don't mix alkyhol with guns and/or keys. But I've also never gone tube fishing and 98% of my fishing experience is off a boat dock on Texoma.
Same. But if I’m not drinking while fishing, I still typically don’t have to worry about snakes too much. I’ve had water moccasins come up, but they typically leave after being poked with a pole or stick, or having something thrown at them. Otherwise, my snake encounters are me stepping on them. Def don’t have time to shoot them if I’m jumping and trying to get out of there. I can move away a lot faster than I can draw, find the snake, and shoot. Typically they’re in rocks and I’m trying to get away anyways.

with all that being said I do typically carry an SP101 with two rounds of snake shot and three rounds of personal defense ammo in the cylinder. Used it once, when bowfishing in hip deep water. Couldnt get away from the snake fast enough in that situation, and I watched him approach.

Latest posts

Top Bottom