Talk to Me About CZ P01 vs CZ PCR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a fan. I don't own either, but like and actually, am starting to covet one or the other. Help an old vet out here; tell me (us) all about these if you have one.

raeken45

Made of wrongthink
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a PCR and love it. Great size, weight and balance. Factory trigger is pretty good, it's no sig, but benefits from upgrades and gets better the more you shoot it. I have probably 700ish rounds through mine without a single problem. It's very accurate but the factory PCR sights are kind of lacking. Not sure if the P01 sights are the same. Lots of aftermarket parts and upgrades for good prices. And it just looks sexy.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a PCR and love it. Great size, weight and balance. Factory trigger is pretty good, it's no sig, but benefits from upgrades and gets better the more you shoot it. I have probably 700ish rounds through mine without a single problem. It's very accurate but the factory PCR sights are kind of lacking. Not sure if the P01 sights are the same. Lots of aftermarket parts and upgrades for good prices. And it just looks sexy.

I believe that the PCR and P-01 are essentially the same gun. The main difference being the full length dust cover and accessory rail on the P-01.

I owned a P-01 for approximately a year. I usually love CZ's, but was not overly thrilled with it and never shot it remotely well compared to my Gen 3 Glock 19. The factory night sights were terrible, but I never bothered installing a set of aftermarket sights. Ended up trading the gun off for a S&W 686.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CHL got it right. Both are aluminum framed compact models, the P01 has a full length dust cover and rail. The PCR looks more like a scaled down CZ75.

I'm pretty sure you can only get the P01 in a decocker model. Not sure if the PCR can be had with the manual safety either. The CZ75 compact has a manual safety and looks like the PCR, but is a steel frame.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I’ve read; the P-01 has improved metallurgy, and some of them have/had a federal NSN (National Stock Number).

Now, I personally see little need for a rail on a carry gun, but man, you gotta admit that P-01 is one fine looking and aesthetic handgun. You put a set of CZ thin grips on that baby and it just gets better. I had an older CZ-75 Compact a few years ago, in the duo-tone finish, and it was just a beautiful looking and fine shooting pistol. I foolishly traded it off and have regretted it ever since. My only real complaint with most CZ pistols is the trigger; it’s gritty as they come off the line, and set way to far forward (excessive reach) for my liking. Both are fixable of course, and after a trip to Cajun Gun Works, I don’t believe you could buy a better pistol. I do not need another carry gun, but the darn things are calling my name yet again. May have to give in so the nightmares will stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a P-01 for a while but got rid of it for a few reasons. I Loved the DA with decocker instead of a safety, it felt great in the hand like all CZs and was reliable and accurate as the rest of them. I dropped it in favor of a glock 19 mainly due to the weight difference. I have no experience with the PCR but I know you cant go wrong with a P-01 and I have never had an issue with the half dozen CZ pistols I have owned.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CZ-75 Compact + decocker & aluminum frame = PCR.
PCR + accessory rail = P-01.
P-01 + different trigger and convertible safety/decocker = P-01 Omega.
P-01 Omega + threaded barrel + extended mags + gray paint = CZ P-01 Ω Urban Grey Suppressor-Ready (Omega). This one has slightly elevated sights to accommodate a suppressor. Doesn't seem to be very concealed-carry ready, though.

These are the general differences in the compact series. Basically, it's like buying a car; pick your upgrades.

I owned a P-01 and, like Neanderthal, I foolishly let it go some years back. Unlike Luke, I shot pretty well with mine, which is not necessarily saying all that much.

CZ USA has some good info on these pistols. If I ever get around to selling my CX4, I plan to buy another CZ. Omega model, I think.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom