Tate Publishing melt down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, not exactly.

They can fire without cause as is Oklahoma law, but there are still laws concerning discrimination, civil rights, etc... not to mention employee contracts. He keeps referencing employee contracts in his insane rant... if it's true that employees and the company signed a contract of employment, then it would depend on the language within on whether or not any of the fired employees had a case.

That isn't the question or the issue here anyway though... it's around the amazingly caustic and terrible way he treated all of these employees in the meeting for which the audio was recorded. Have you listened to the entire 17:21 tirade? Tell me that if you were one of the employees in that meeting, you'd be ok with being spoken to that way? Tell me that if you were one of the employees who left that meeting wondering if you were going to be one of the 25 fired (as he threatened), that you'd be ok with it. ALL of those employees left that meeting wondering if it was going to be them. 25 of them experienced that reality.

Listen to the audio people. Listen and tell me if any of you type A, bootstrap people would put up with someone speaking to you that way... threatening your livelihood, calling you names, intimidating and manipulating you. I doubt it.

But that's just my opinion... I could be wrong.

In NO way could a position in that company pay enough for me to sit through a little moron going off on his employees like that..

There is no excuse for an employer to call his employees morons.. and stupid in a meeting..

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
His company,he can fire them for any reason he wants or no reason at all

Even if the reasons here are valid (which, wasting company time poking around on the internet is certainly a valid reason... :lookaroun ), let's put that aside.

Do you think how he handled it was even remotely appropriate?

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bet the lost ogle miffed JR off today lol

http://www.thelostogle.com/2012/06/...out-tate-publishing-ceo-ryan-tate/#more-24950

I will post a little for those with no clickie...

1. Ryan Tate is a product of nepotism

It’s quite obvious that the only reason Ryan Tate has his job is because his parents gave it to him. I’ve done several Google searches and can’t find any mentions of a college degree or past successes as a writer, salesman or publisher. From what I can tell, it appears the only qualification Ryan has is his last name.

2. Ryan Tate has a pretty blonde wife who’s a bona fide Republican and former beauty pageant contestant

He may not be a good boss, but at least Ryan Tate knows how to pick pretty blonde girls from the Non-Denominational Church Mating Catalog. Seriously, she looks like she should be teaching a bible school class somewhere. Her name is Christy Tate. She was the second runner-up in the 2008 Mrs. Oklahoma Pageant, is a spokesperson for Tate Publishing and even appeared in the GOP’s “Bona Fide” Republican campaign video.

3. According to this website, Ryan Tate has been accused of having improper sexual relationships with other Tate Publishing employees.

If the claims on that website are true, they would seem to corroborate a few rumors we heard from Ogle Moles over the weekend. The most common one was that Ryan Tate had “improper relations” with a female employee on a Tate Publishing-sponsored employee cruise.

I emailed Ryan Tate on Friday and asked him to address this allegation and answer a few other questions, but he never replied back to me. He was probably too busy monitoring his employees Facebook and MySpace pages and making collect calls to the Philippines.

4. Ryan Tate has co-authored a book about marriage.

Ironically enough, Ryan and his wife co-authored a book called “To Tie the Knot or Not: Principles You Must Master Before You Marry.” I haven’t read the book, but I wonder if “Fidelity” or “Having Your Parents Give You a Cushy Job” are mentioned in it.

5. Ryan Tate is a liar.

During the secretly recorded staff meeting, Ryan claimed Tate Publishing had filed a $7.8-million lawsuit against five employees for violating their employment contract. He even said “Do you think their life changed when they got that summons?”

Well, I guess their lives didn’t change, because it looks like the lawsuit doesn’t exist. It makes you wonder if Ryan either a) forgot to file the suit or b) was simply using it as a way to intimidate and/or threatening his current employees. Knowing what we know about Ryan, I’d lean towards option B.

6. Ryan Tate doesn’t like bloggers.

According to the blog post at the bottom of this page, Tate Publishing sued several anonymous bloggers back in 2008. Here’s a snippet:

Well Tate Family, unfortunately we have had to take legal action against many different individuals that have tried to be very negative against our wonderful company and family of authors. Whether you are a Tate author, prospective author or just researching this industry we have been appalled at all of the negative and incorrect information on the internet, in blog sites or on competitors websites…

Considering Ryan Tate likes to use the threat of legal action as an intimidation technique, I seriously doubt he or Tate Publishing has ever sued anyone for libel or slander. As my attorney told me, “When people threaten to sue you, they rarely do.”

-

7. Ryan Tate enjoys wearing tights and wrestling other men.

I stumbled across this gem while reading a bio about Ryan’s wife:

Christy and her husband, former All-American wrestler for the University of Oklahoma, traveled the country performing seminars on their book, To Tie the Knot or Not.

8. Ryan Tate is a little man

No wonder he has little man syndrome. He truly is a little man!

-
9. Ryan Tate is a bad driver.

According to a search at OSCN, Ryan Tate has been ticketed for various traffic violations ranging from not wearing a seat belt to a DUI. I’d rather ride around in a car with a small Asian woman than Ryan Tate.

-

10. Ryan Tate probably masturbates while looking the mirror.

And when he does, I bet he flexes.

-

Anyway, those are 10 things I learned about Ryan Tate. I think this closes our Tate Publishing coverage for a while. We have Charles Barkley crap to write about.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a feeling that Tate is going to be on the other side of a lawsuit very soon. He essentially admits that some of the people will be losing their jobs without cause.

Tough to sue in OK for wrongful termination what with us being a Hire at will fire at will state.

Maybe JB will jump in and represent these folks - pro bono of course.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tough to sue in OK for wrongful termination what with us being a Hire at will fire at will state.

"At Will" means really nothing when a termination is wrongful. You are much better being very quiet and not giving a reason to an employee. Hell, "At Will" is a state determination, but most all EEO matters can be traced to Federal legislation, which will have little regard to how a state court viewed the matter.

Having a recorded tirade like this boss made certainly gives lots of fuel to such a suit. A cause of action exists. We'll see how it plays out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom