taurus VS. rock island?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But the spartans are fitted by the STI people.

By Duane Thomas

STI’s aptly named Spartan 1911 is intended to give shooters a custom quality gun at a price the average shooter is actually willing and able to spend. Thus, the Spartan is priced at $660 MSRP. A major factor allowing STI to offer this gun at that price is that there are no options available. None. You can have a Spartan one way: one finish, one set of sights, in one caliber, etc. This is in contrast to STI’s other 1911 lines — like the Trojan in which, when ordering, you can spec out exactly the gun you want. The Spartan is chambered for .45 ACP; it’s available as a full-sized, five-inch barreled, carbon steel, single stack, Government Model 1911. Period.

Esthetically, the STI Spartan is a drab gun. Its finish is Parkerized, the grips feature seriously pedestrian grain, the front sight has an orange fiber optic insert, and the rear is the Italian LPA adjustable.

The heart of the Spartan .45 (what you’re really buying) is the slide-to-frame to barrel fit, and in this area the Spartan delivers, There’s no movement in any of these areas with the gun in battery, either laterally or vertically. STI’s goal with the Spartan was to provide a custom level of slide/frame/barrel fit at a non-custom price. I have never before seen a fit like this on anything but an expensive custom gun, much less a piece in the Spartan’s price range.

The slide, frame and barrel are made by Armscor in the Philippines. All the other parts except the [PA sight) are made by STI, which ships them overseas; the guns are built by Armscor, then sent back to STI. At that point, the Spartans are given to STI’s quality control people who go over them with a fine-tooth comb, If a problem is found, typically it’s easier for STI to fix it in house; Spartans very rarely go hack to the Philippines once they’re here.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never owned a rock island but I do have a Taurus pt1911 and have had zero problems with it or any other Taurus product.

I think Taurus gets a bad rap just because they aren't a high end, high priced firearm.

Rock Island pistols are made by Armscor, who also makes Charles Daly 1911 pistols. The biggest POS 1911 pistol I've ever seen was a Charles Daly namely the extractor that broke off within the first 20 rounds.

Hoss

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't had any issues with my rock island 1911, I think it is a great gun for the money.
I have never had a Taurus 1911, but I do have a Taurus revolver I think it has the worst fit and finish of any gun I have ever owned.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about the Para GI? I've heard very good things about that weapon and it's reasonably priced.

I don't know much about either the RIA or the Taurus, but I found this in an online review:

"There are some ways that the RIA M1911A1 is not a true M1911A1. The most obvious is that it has a flat mainspring housing. The G.I. M1911A1 has a curved mainspring housing. Contemporary 1911 shooters seem to prefer the flat mainspring housing which was characteristic of the older M1911 over the curved housing of the WW II era guns.

The RIA pistol, like most modern production 1911’s, has a lowered ejection port with the scallop relief to the rear which is a good idea for reliability, but is not characteristic of the G.I. gun. It has a beveled magazine well and a somewhat enlarged thumb safety flange – again, modern modifications that make sense, but which were not found on the G.I. gun. It also has smooth wood grips rather than checkered bakelite. The RIA is like the M1911A1 in that it is parkerized, has the short trigger of the M1911A1, has authentic sights, short guide rod and spring plug, no firing pin block, and a mil-spec trigger of about 5.5-6 lbs."

Latest posts

Top Bottom