The "ammo scare"...I'm feeling old

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a friend, same age as I (mid 30s) who is looking at getting his first gun. I've been giving him feedback and suggestions on where to look then he sent me a message today.

"You've had guns for a while, have you ever noticed the price of ammunition rise/fall with talks of gun reform & fears of gun policies being implemented?"

Felt like the old man "Well son, grab a chair and let me tell you a story"....
He was completely oblivious to the "ammo scare" of recent years. Looks like he's thinking correctly and wanting to get enough to have a reserve in case something similar happens again.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I buy a case when I can afford it and hold a few back. SGammo has some killer prices and for now, stuff is in stock.

I remember seeing all those tools at Academy every morning buying 22LR ammo. They would be waiting at the front door at 0600 when I drove by. Get their 3 boxes and go back to the truck and try and get another 3. Same guys selling it at local Gun Shows for triple what they asked. I'm all about capitalism, but that pisses me off. I hope they sit on that ammo for the next 30 years.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was at the wal-mart when all the neck beards were waiting in line.. each morning they would get there earlier and earlier to be first.
It got stupid people showing up at 330 am when the gun counter did not open until 630 or 7 am.
I did get ammo now and then and sold it to people that needed it for what I paid for it..I gave a few large boxes away to friends with kids or wifes that needed ammo..

I still have some of the 555 count winchester boxes that were $18.88 i think was the price.
It did not come back down in price.. they now have 333 count boxes.

I almost feel low on supplies when I have only 2,000 primers in a certain size.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last few scares weren't all bad, I was able to get rid of a ton of crappy surplus corrosive ammo left over from my college days. I managed to get a nice bring-back FN pistol for a couple hundred rounds of .308 I probably paid $10-20 for.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I almost feel low on supplies when I have only 2 said:
And i thought i was bad, the world is coming to a end when i get down to 5k per size.
I usually order mine in quanities of 10k and if i had the funds available i would do more but usually 10k is all i can afford at any one time have to keep the funds available for powder or what good is the primer without powder.

man i messed up on this post for some reason it shows it all as a quote instead of a response

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d call that in dire need of restocking [emoji3]
When I get down to 10,000, It's time for a trip to Powder Valley in Kansas. 10K is my minimum restocking level.
I remember the $60 a hundred days and I'll never have that experience again.
I've posted pics of my reloading cabinet, and there are two more just as loaded with components.

Latest posts

Top Bottom