The Annual "Looking for a Generator" thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've participated in a couple of these over the last couple years, as we have been "planning" to do this multiple times. But I got a Christmas bonus, traded an AR for some electrician "credit" and on Wednesday, we're doing a new panel and rewiring for a generator.

So now, I need to go get one.

I'd like a set unit Generac or something, but I can't really justify that expense at the moment, especially on this house, which I'm hoping we will only be in for another year or two or three.

So, I'm looking to spend somewhere around $1000-1200, not really more unless there is an absolutely stellar and pressing deal with a very good reason. I'd like to have somewhere in the range of 8-10kw. It's probably a little bit of overkill for what we need to run just heat, fridge and a few lights and such during an emergency, but I always think overplanning is better in an event like that.

I know Honda motors are probably the most highly-regarded in this category (portable generators), but honestly in looking through specs, it's difficult in most cases to find out who makes the motor - which makes me think it's not a company they're proud of and want to admit, in a market like this where people want to know that info.

So anyone know of any good deals coming up or going on, what are you using, what's a great value this season and I'm open to ideas and comments! I may be going to Tulsa to buy one tomorrow or the next day, or I could order one online. My neighbor is a contractor who can get discount at Locke (I think), or if anyone wants to volunteer their veteran discount at Lowe's (or Home Depot), that would be cool! ;)

Thanks!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go bigger than what you anticipate for future freezers when you and the son take a couple of deer.
The options are endless it seems like. I spec'd one out for my sister last year after the OKC ice storm. She has two freezers, fridge, electic dryer, etc and wanted to run the house as if full power was available.
Had to do a site tour with a Ammeter to get a good handle on how many amps/watts her appliances used.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hondas are definitely top tier. Pricey but worth the piece of mind IMO.

Other than that look for a Subaru, Honda or Yamaha engine. All are built for "commercial" type use. My Coleman has a Yamaha and has cast iron cylinder, hardened valves and stellite seats. In other words it's built to be run hard. Coleman also have pretty good quality generator units too. Don't forget that, it's not always about the engine. Generac is good but if I were buying I'd go Honda if I had the budget for it.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One problem is fuel consumption unless you are going NG. I have found a 4 KW inverter style generator will run my fridge, gas furnace, 3 freezers, a couple of TV's and computer. We have bought power friendly items for the last few years which helps. With just a little planning we can run the coffee pot, toaster, and microwave. The inverter generators are expensive, but do use a lot less gas and are a lot quieter.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, Honda is out of my pricerange for sure, unless I'm getting a much smaller unit, essentially just to keep my freezer from defrosting. That's just not worth the investment to me. I'd love a big Honda unit, but it's just not possible right now.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
...traded an AR for some electrician "credit" and on Wednesday, we're doing a new panel and rewiring for a generator...
...we will only be in for another year or two or three...
...spend somewhere around $1000-1200...
...it's difficult in most cases to find out who makes the motor - which makes me think it's not a company they're proud of...
So you gave up an AR for electrician credit to modify your current home but don't want to spend any more capital on a permanent generator because you may move sometime? Slow down and think this one through.
Generac uses a variety of sources of engines for their generators and on their bigger units include modifying automotive engines and obscure brands like Guascor.
Costco and Sam's club have the best deals on stationary standby generators and most use either natural gas or LP. If you go NG you'll need a plumber to install the gas line.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you gave up an AR for electrician credit to modify your current home but don't want to spend any more capital on a permanent generator because you may move sometime? Slow down and think this one through.
Generac uses a variety of sources of engines for their generators and on their bigger units include modifying automotive engines and obscure brands like Guascor.
Costco and Sam's club have the best deals on stationary standby generators and most use either natural gas or LP. If you go NG you'll need a plumber to install the gas line.

Think what through? I'm not sure what you're getting at... trading an AR for panel work is no big deal. I helped my neighbor build it from parts I had laying around, I've got over a dozen of them - it's not like it was a big loss for me.

I'm not spending 2-3k on the generator alone, then another couple of grand on wiring, plumbing, concrete pad and a housing, etc. It's just not worth putting $5k into this house for it. That is my plan for my new house someday, or when I build a home. Other than trying to convince me to expand my budget from $2k total to $5k total or more on a house I don't plan on being in long-term and that is overkill for this area, neighborhood, type of home and demographic, I'm not sure what else to consider. I've been "thinking this through" for about 3-4 years now before we've finally decided to do it. I'm fairly set on a medium-to-large portable type generator, not a fixed unit that we can't take with us or sell fairly easily.

Honestly, I just don't see the cost/benefit ratio in shelling out a ton more in our current situation - it isn't going to add a ton of value or selling advantage to this current home. Others it might, but not in this situation, I don't believe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom