The Homeless population spikes in Colorado

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tulsa has in the past had a large seasonal migratory homeless population. And they have been very open about coming there because Tulsa has great places to take care of them. They do make the effort to hitch a ride cross-country to get to a place they have heard has nicer facilities and/or programs or ones they have known themselves in the past.
They must be moving because the homeless camp next door has been empty for the last month.

Phezzik

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a shame to see their numbers growing so quickly. I grew up in Colorado and always assumed we would go back there once my wife finished school, but now I'm not so sure. I love it there, and we didn't have to many vagrants where I'm from (too high of altitude, too many gun wielding conservatives who don't want them around), but I don't know if I can go back home on principle alone.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
They must be moving because the homeless camp next door has been empty for the last month.

They're headed to CO for the weed, lol.

Actually, it's in summer months OK's homeless population drops, because it's typically so very hot and shelters either don't let them stay inside all day, or they don't cool the inside (some) to keep costs down. They do come back in winter and populations usually rise... in part due to Oklahoma's "mild" winters (compared to many places up north) and the facilities and support they receive. I know my step-dad's folks are (well... were, they're in their later 80's now) quite active, doing a big giveaway of winter clothing and gear in Nov every year... they spend a couple grand themselves and give it all away. They have a soft spot, as their son (not my step-dad, his brother) chose to live on the streets and was eventually killed by being crushed in a dumpster on Christmas night a few years back.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Number two son goes to school in Golden and has been interning in Longmont this summer. Trophy Wife and I drove up a couple of weeks ago to visit him and we stayed in Boulder. We like Boulder and eat very well there. This time, I was shocked at the street people. If you're looking for the "wretched refuse", they're living on the streets of Boulder. But, by the stoned out silly grins on their faces, they seem to be quite happy.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I remember right, when the hippies left the San Francisco area when there were "warnings" of "The Big One" occurring there, they mostly went to Boulder. I heard phrases like "Hippie High in Colorado" and "Hippie East" while I was in San Francisco. Likely you saw the remnants of the remnants, or perhaps, a whole new breed of stoners.

Back then, SF wasn't so bad. For the day of the forecast "Big One" earthquake, the residents had a black tie affair at a drive in theater and showed a movie about the earthquake back in the 1800's that did so much damage. I wasn't there, but some I knew said it was one heck of a party.

Latest posts

Top Bottom