The new internet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noema

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You only get (generally speaking) one IP address from your residential Internet provider. Your router does the translation from internal IP addresses to that one IP address from your provider, WIFI included. If one device works, they all should work unless something is monkeyed with. Question is, who manages your router. You or your provider?
We are using a router they issued us. I can access and control my router. Im with AT&T. The thing is, I shouldn’t have internet at all since I haven’t paid my bill and they cut it off weeks ago.

So it’s definitely on their end. That’s why im thinking it’s some new policy in regards to Covid. Since you need access to the internet to work or go to school from home.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if your ISP has some sort of basic free internet service based on government funding, they would only want it used for things like distance learning. Your data packets contain identifying information like the mac address, device, and operating system. They could block packets from devices like gaming consoles. I would think they would allow devices like tablets which some schools provide students. Do you have anything like that which is not getting internet service, or do you only have your pc and console?

Noema

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if your ISP has some sort of basic free internet service based on government funding, they would only want it used for things like distance learning. Your data packets contain identifying information like the mac address, device, and operating system. They could block packets from devices like gaming consoles. I would think they would allow devices like tablets which some schools provide students. Do you have anything like that which is not getting internet service, or do you only have your pc and console?
Can’t hook an Ethernet up to a tablet. The kids had chrome books for school, but wifi is complete out. No phones, computers or TVs have internet. Just my computer. My PS4 uses Ethernet too. It’s strong you restricted to browsing, such as YouTube and streaming sites. I can’t play pc games either.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like it's time for a call to your ISP CS. I would talk as if a new customer and ask if they have some sort of free plan for distance learning. If so, ask what the restrictions are as to what devices will work with it and will the home wifi work. You'll at lease get some idea as to path to head down next.

Noema

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like it's time for a call to your ISP CS. I would talk as if a new customer and ask if they have some sort of free plan for distance learning. If so, ask what the restrictions are as to what devices will work with it and will the home wifi work. You'll at lease get some idea as to path to head down next.
Watch it be a **** up on their end and i'm not even supposed to have it lmao. Think i'll just leave it be for now. I mean, I'm not complaining. Its better than nothing atm. I don't have to rewatch the same movies over and over.

Chris Hayes

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CL35, it's very possible that your computer still has internet because it's using it's own DNS settings, not your ISPs DNS. I'm guessing tht when you try other devices, they are still connected to your wifi but it's just not passing the traffic as the "managed" DNS has been turned off. Without DNS you can be connected at light speed but internet does not work as it doesn't know where to go.

You can manually assign DNS to your other devices to test this. IE, 1.1.1.1 is the DNS server for Cloudflare. It's a clean and fast DNS server.

Latest posts

Top Bottom