The new internet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noema

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that speed was my normal. I checked it often. It still runs just as fast, but it seems i'm just limited in what i can do. Kind of like a child lock.

Noema

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The internet is my TV and i've had it running non stop without hiccups. Just if i try to load steam, i'll get a crash error. Same with my ps4. The same errors you'd get with no internet at all

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is your AT&T fiber going to an ONT then ethernet to a wireless gateway? I know its fiber because that is the only way AT&T offers those speeds. If so its probably still allowing some traffic because of the ONT not fully deprovisioning but rather port blocking. That way you can get online and pay your bill.

Noema

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is your AT&T fiber going to an ONT then ethernet to a wireless gateway? I know its fiber because that is the only way AT&T offers those speeds. If so its probably still allowing some traffic because of the ONT not fully deprovisioning but rather port blocking. That way you can get online and pay your bill.
Now that would make sense, because they are only blocking certain stuff. I can stream movies, youtube and all that just fine. However, if i try to open steam, it tells me i have an error lol. So they do have a way to block gaming by itself somehow. Not familiar with what an ONT is, but i did a quick search and it said you can't have a modem and a router, so i'm guessing not since i do have a router.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now that would make sense, because they are only blocking certain stuff. I can stream movies, youtube and all that just fine. However, if i try to open steam, it tells me i have an error lol. So they do have a way to block gaming by itself somehow. Not familiar with what an ONT is, but i did a quick search and it said you can't have a modem and a router, so i'm guessing not since i do have a router.
That is incorrect. The ONT (Optical Network Terminal) takes in a fiber connection then goes ethernet to a ISP supplied gateway or to just a regular router. It is correct that you won't have a modem typical to DSL or cable, but it does allow a regular router to be used, just not a modem/router combo. The ONT typically is a white, wall mounted box that will have a power cable and possibly an ethernet cable coming out of it. And as I said, you have to be on fiber as DSL does not have the bandwidth to hit 150 Mbit/sec, much less the speeds you are seeing.

Noema

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is incorrect. The ONT (Optical Network Terminal) takes in a fiber connection then goes ethernet to a ISP supplied gateway or to just a regular router. It is correct that you won't have a modem typical to DSL or cable, but it does allow a regular router to be used, just not a modem/router combo. The ONT typically is a white, wall mounted box that will have a power cable and possibly an ethernet cable coming out of it. And as I said, you have to be on fiber as DSL does not have the bandwidth to hit 150 Mbit/sec, much less the speeds you are seeing.
Oh ok, i was just reading the first thing i clicked on looking it up lol. A white box like this?
304777644_615202200314246_2166243842786951738_n.jpg

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, thats your ONT.
And that looks like an AT&T supplied gateway on your desk. If so, I bet thats what they are using for port blocking. Might try getting a regular router, powercycle the ONT (unplug it, wait 5 seconds, plug it back in) and connect the ethernet cable up to the router. BUT, this could cause it to recheck its provisioning and if AT&T has it set to be deprovisioned, it could knock out all the internet.

Noema

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, thats your ONT.
And that looks like an AT&T supplied gateway on your desk. If so, I bet thats what they are using for port blocking. Might try getting a regular router, powercycle the ONT (unplug it, wait 5 seconds, plug it back in) and connect the ethernet cable up to the router. BUT, this could cause it to recheck its provisioning and if AT&T has it set to be deprovisioned, it could knock out all the internet.
Oh, ok. So they have full control on what devices can and can't be on the internet? Like, you can't fool it at all?

Noema

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't think it is device specific, more like I said port blocking and possible disconnect of wifi. Honestly, just pay yer bill and restore service :P
lol, i know i know. I will in due time once i can afford it, lol. I was just asking for educational purposes lmao.

Latest posts

Top Bottom