The Stupidity of "Buy American:" The Case Against Economic Protectionism

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKC03Cobra

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cars...German and British

Suits, trousers, sports coats....Italian

Shoes...Italian and British.

Watches...Swiss and French.

Even though no one makes muscle cars like American car companies(Shelby GT500, Camaro SS and Challenger SRT8), I have to admit that in the world of luxury performance SUV's the Porsche Cayenne Turbo rules the road.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interfering with peaceful exchange is never a good idea. The great 19th-century liberal Richard Cobden was right when he praised free trade for "drawing men together, thrusting aside the antagonism of race, and creed, and language, and uniting us in the bonds of eternal peace."
Of whom Lord Chamberlain was an acolyte. Free trade makes peaceful, happy people, and an end to war...right? Apparently Public School is a greater failure than even I anticipated, since no one seems able to appreciate the history of "free trade".:smash:

If we want free trade, we need to adopt a "reciprocal trade policy"- our laws, in relation to every international trading partner, will mirror that trade-nation's. Oooohh. Thnigs aren't looking like such a "free deal" anymore...

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even though no one makes muscle cars like American car companies(Shelby GT500, Camaro SS and Challenger SRT8), I have to admit that in the world of luxury performance SUV's the Porsche Cayenne Turbo rules the road.

Although I no longer have it, i would have put my AMG Mercedes up against anything an American company can cobble together.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2009 was the last season where the spec was open enough to be based on anything else. Even then, the Fords were the only ones that were similar to anything other than Chevy from 2006 through 2009, and in that particular case they were a hybrid of Windsors and Clevelands.

In 2010, the spec was tightened up significantly to the point where some of the smaller teams were running $100K crates and still able to be decently competitive. The current spec uses the best traits from the previous Chevy, Ford, Dodge, and Toyota engines, but the majority of what is in the spec is from the Chevy engine (specifically the R07). But the teams do have a certain level of freedom keeping it from being a pure spec engine, and each make tends to trend different way because of manufacturer-level R&D.

But if you want the best of the best of the best, you'll just go buy a Hendrick-built engine with a technical support contract.

The FR9 isn't based on anything Chevy. It was a "from the ground up" creation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom