The Tesla Electric Truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well hell, since the deposit is so low and refundable, I pre-ordered the Tesla Cybertruck lmao... not due until late 2021, by then everyone should have their EV trucks out. I'll admit, the ugliness grows on you.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am telling you guys if they paint them green they will sell like mad. I would get me a warthog edition.
warthog.jpg

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have free supercharging, so 0$/mile! In reality of we charge at home we're hovering around 4-5 cents/mile.

I'd guess we would have been about 35-45$ for the full round trip 1,000 mile trip had we had to pay for charging.

Question #1: Yeah, but how about for the pickup?

Question #2: Who pays for the electricity you get for free?

Question #3: Is any part of buying and/or charging your Tesla subsidized or a deductible expense as an individual?

Woody

k4ylr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Q
#1: Yeah, but how about for the pickup?
It would be marginally more expensive but hard to nail down since the power is not directly passed on to us. We pay 11 cents/min for slower charge rates and 21 cents for typical charging speeds.

Question #2: Who pays for the electricity you get for free?
Tesla owns the Supercharger stalls (like the one's in Weatherford, Ardmore, OKC, Catoosa and Ponca City) so the cost is passed on to them and I don't believe they receive any state-level incentives that are directly or indirectly paid by tax payers.

Question #3: Is any part of buying and/or charging your Tesla subsidized or a deductible expense as an individual?
The biggest take away is the federal credit (Since we had an early Model 3 we got a $7,500 credit for 2018). Otherwise unless you have free supercharging, the cost is past on to you and is baked into the per-unit-time cost. If you used them for business/leased through a company they are as deductible as a normal vehicle; with the bonus that you a much smaller routine maintenance expense.

Our free supercharging is 5,000 miles since my folks also bought a Model 3 and used our referral code. When that credit runs dry we'll be back to paying until I order the truck or Model Y through our referral code.

Woody

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't foresee many farmers and ranchers lining up to buy one of those.

I also don't see RV'ers lining up either.

I think it more for the folks that want to buy a "truck" and then go looking for a shed or garage to store it in so it doesn't get damaged by hail.

Short answer is that as far as a "working" truck goes, it will probably fall flat.

You missed a huge demographic there.

Light trucks sales dominate the domestic market...something like 60%+ the last I read. Yes, a large portion of that aren't farmers and ranchers, or RV'ers, but nor are they people buying garage queens.

The light truck has become the equivalent of the old school station wagon. Light trucks pull double duty as the family car and the weekend workhorse. Folks commute to work in them, haul the kids to school as well as throw gravel, dirt, and other sundry small project material in them weekly.

My 2013 2wd 1500 Ram has almost 100K on it and the bed shows the work it puts in for the family...but I also clean it (and myself) up and take my bride out for a nice dinner in it. The 360 cubic inch V8 doesn't get horrible mileage on my 4 day a week 50+ mile round trip commute to work but something better would be nice. Folks like me are legion in the light truck market.

If someone comes out with a practical and affordable EV light truck that fits those needs, they will sell very nicely. I think tesla is almost there, but I'd like to see one of the big three lead the way in that market.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is not meant to be a slam on you. It's just my view (A rant?) of how the government leads us down paths we wouldn't otherwise choose to follow.

That $7,500.00 tax credit is money the rest of the taxpayers have to cover. Even if it was just a deduction, it would still be money the rest of the taxpayers must cover. Even the interest paid on a mortgage is not equated to and handled like a tax credit - it is only a deductible expense extracted from gross income before the tax is calculated.

To my way of thinking, if the government has to bribe people to buy a certain product, there is an agenda afoot or some other sinister quid-pro-quo deal between the government and the manufacturer. It's the government picking winners and losers. If such a product could stand on its own, there wouldn't ever be a need for incentive other than for the government to engage in the afore mentioned picking of winners and losers and/or promoting an agenda.

Woody

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be keeping my 2006 Chevy diesel for the foreseeable future.
Smart move, I traded a 2000 with 260+ thousand for a 2010. Chevy's brighter ideas between the 00 and the 10 turned a great truck into something that might self destruct at any minute. If I could do it over I would look for a low mileage pre 07.

Latest posts

Top Bottom