The truth about today's waterfowl hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This happened to my family in the mid 80’s when OK Sportsmans Club leased all my Dad’s family’s land. We had thousands of acres to hunt quail and ducks that my Dad had been hunting since he was a kid, and they leased it all. Like the article says though, you really can’t blame the farmers for taking the money.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great post Okie4570. We have had some private conversations about that subject.
In the case of Missouri where clubs are buying land to attract ducks, it's my personal opinion they should put in rest areas where no hunting is allowed so some of the ducks can get rest, some food and continue the migration.
Most of us deer hunters with private land set aside some places as sanctuaries where we never hunt to give them an area to call home with no pressure.
Land ownership is public access in the county records. It amazes me how many phone calls we get annually with people wanting to lease or hunt our land.
Nobody grants access to their land now without a wad of cash unless your family, and you had better be good family, not some third cousin from a divorced wife three times back.
Remember back in the day when a buddy and I stopped at an accident on a county road to help a really old guy with a flat bed pickup that was in the ditch. He had a pallet of feed on the back that was scattered.
Pulled him out and restacked the feed on his truck. He offered to pay us but we refused.
Asked if we hunted, saying yes.
Follow me.
Got to his home that was impressive, went inside and got written permission to hunt his properties that were pretty extensive. He passed away a couple years later and that permission went away with the new owners.
That's about the only way to get permission without $$$ these days. Farming is a low budget operation with mother nature/markets controlling the purse strings. The cost of machinery keeps going up while prices of what the farmer produces keeps going down with middleman reaping the most profits.
I don't disrespect any landowner taking lease money.
What burns some of them in the past was outfitters would see field ducks, knock on the door get free permission for a one day hunt thinking the guy and his buddy were the only hunters.
2am the outfitter, helpers and a dozen clients show up, set up and blast ducks/geese all day and drive away. The farmer gets nothing, or a small pittance.
Yeah, that would make someone a little mad, with the next guy getting the Oh, HELL NO response that maybe was honestly trying to get permission for his family.

Latest posts

Top Bottom