The wife went full-auto today... Class III is now officially "on the list". :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, took the wife to the range today to shoot her new Taurus 709 Slim... she's been looking forward to it for quite a while. She wanted something small and manageable, and the previous PT140 I got her just had a little too much flip.

Unfortunately, the 709 malfunctioned every time we fired it. It came with 2 mags, factory, and we were shooting factory ammo, WWB FMJ 9mm and Federal FMJ. Pretty well every time with one magazine, we had a FTE, resulting in a jam. After clearing, continue with same mag, same result. FTE every time. Switch to the other mag and got 2 rounds off, again, FTE. Then FTE 2 more times in a row. At that point, we put that pistol away and it is shelved for the time being. <sigh>

Then we tried the 2 new S&W 9mm pistols I got her, one of which is a model 909 single-stack, and the other is a 6904, double-stack. Surprisingly, she really liked the double stack better, which she did not expect. She did have more trouble keeping the 909 under control, even though it is a larger, heavier frame, and single-stack. It is however, slightly deeper through the grip than the 6904, which I think made the difference. She has decided the 6904 is now her new primary gun. :D I feel better about that than the 709 Slim, which is apparently non-functional. <sigh>

She shot my PT145 again, which is just too much for her. And then shot my new Springfield V-10 Champion 4" 1911. She liked that better than the Taurus PT145 (go figure) and actually put together a nice 2.5"-3" group at about 10-12 yards.

But the highlight of the day was putting in her hands the full-auto suppressed H&K MP-5! She shot 2 25-round magazines through it and I got a moderate-quality video of her doing some 3-round bursts. She was pumped... really enjoyed it. Here's a quick look at the video, and some cheesin' pics afterwards. :D Watch the full video for the reaction at the end.... :D

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_P1190503.jpg

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_P1190505.jpg

And then my AR-15... first time it's ever been fired. That's a real full triple-cobra zombie sling from TCummings... thanks, Travis!

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_P1190514.jpg

And a cool one I caught, with a cartridge ejecting!

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_P1190513.jpg

Anyways.... that was the highlight of my day. Wife was disappointed in her new Taurus, but I'm sure glad I went ahead and bought a couple of backups for it, in case it didn't work out. But seeing that grin on her face sure made up for it. And now... I won't have ANY problems getting my Class III. :D Not from the homefront, anyways. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

bernardderek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you try the 709?? She may have been limp wristing it, is why I ask. I recently bought one for my wife as well and we have about 150 rounds through it without a single FTE/FTF.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, she shot it, I shot it, and the range owner shot it. Same story on all three of us.

That was my initial thought, too. And she did get some FTFs on my PT145, but it shot flawlessly on me, so I attributed that to her not having the hand strength necessary.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
The video does not work for me in Chrome. I have the latest Chrome and the latest Flash player. It doesn't show up on YouTube, either, I get audio, but only a green screen. Same in IE 8. But if I go full-screen it works fine.

Odd...

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yessir! That grin says it all. You couldn't scrub that off of her face with a gallon of brine! I forsee that very weapon in your safe very soon. :naughty:

As for her choice in the S&W 6904 - outstanding pistol. :clap3:

The 3rd gen Smith & Wesson autos are the biggest overlooked weapons out there. I think their all steel, boat anchor frames scared a lot of folks off in the beginning, but you gotta consider that the 3rd gen S&W autos were a little before their time. They were introduced in the early/mid 80s before plastics and aluminum were the standard - like today.

I carried a 6904 as an off-duty pistol many moons ago. There are days that I wish I had it back. Great little pistol. :thumb:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm really thinking about that MP5... not sure it's going to be TOO soon, but I'm also looking into what it would cost to build a full-auto AR...

Definitely fun stuff!

<edit> Guess I can't build a new full-auto gun, even once I get permitted for it. I got a lot of research to do, but I don't see myself spending $15k on an already-manufactured and -registered pre-ban weapon.

Last edited:

11b1776

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm really thinking about that MP5... not sure it's going to be TOO soon, but I'm also looking into what it would cost to build a full-auto AR...

Definitely fun stuff!

<edit> Guess I can't build a new full-auto gun, even once I get permitted for it. I got a lot of research to do, but I don't see myself spending $15k on an already-manufactured and -registered pre-ban weapon.

That's the only way unless your going to be a manufacturer and do a demo for local law enforcement. Its a crap shoot, its a rich mans game anymore. There maybe another way, but you can't just build one unfortunately

Latest posts

Top Bottom