The Zombie Apocalypse and You

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unsure how effective/therapeutic 5 yo prescription meds are. Especially refrigerated insulin, etc
5 year old Rx meds are probably fine in this scenario.
The expiration dates on the meds are not when the meds expire.
They are how long the manufacturer will guarantee 100% strength and effectiveness of a medication.
Different for refrigerated stuff.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, medication expiration dates are not 'written in stone'. Taking expired meds is not that great of risk other than with time/degradation they may be somewhat less effective. Few meds become dangerous once epiration dates have been exceeded. Yes, stock piling meds would be difficult for most.....HOWEVER, picking up something like veterinarian penicillin, etc would not be a bad idea.

OneMoreEvan

This is bowling, there are rules. MARK IT ZERO
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Eh, best case scenario me and the boys all meet at the designated SHTF friend's house and hang out without killing each other for long enough that everything blows over, worst case, we become a roving raider group dressed as Lord Humongous' cousin. Either way, it should be a good time lol

Meadhall Range

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a note...fellow named Greg Ellifritz does a class covering a lot of the med stuff, and part of that class is effectiveness of meds long term etc. Where one can procure "Some" things (no schedule 1 stuff). We did that class here last year. He is someone to follow regardless. His blog over at activeresponsetraining dot net is well worth a look. Usually your pill format stuff is good MUCH longer than you think, however liquids etc you want to keep the expirations

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a note...fellow named Greg Ellifritz does a class covering a lot of the med stuff, and part of that class is effectiveness of meds long term etc. Where one can procure "Some" things (no schedule 1 stuff). We did that class here last year. He is someone to follow regardless. His blog over at activeresponsetraining dot net is well worth a look. Usually your pill format stuff is good MUCH longer than you think, however liquids etc you want to keep the expirations
Appreciate it, I'm a Respiratory Therapist so I've had pharmacology but every little bit helps.

Yeti695

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Being out in a rural area, I'm not to worried the zombie horde. The meth-head horde with no food, that's what I'm worried about. Should be able to defend my house from the first and second wave, after that its a crap shoot. I don't think that very many people in any city over 30,000 or more are very prepared or have a plan. Like @turkeyrun said, most of the of the population will be gone in a short time. Any urban area will be the worst area anyone can be. And you will see a mass exodus of these place, which will cause more chaos.
Something I hear a lot is, "I'm going to my (inset hunting type) camp", well most of the time these people lease this land and if you have more than 2 or 3 people on that lease, think about how many people are saying that same thing. Then if they bring their friend and family, you might be out manned. Not to mentioned the actually land owner may have already prepared or planned for something like this.
To bug out, you need a place where you, your family and your group have planned to go, and then to make it defendable habitable place, especially for the swings in weather we have around here.
And for a long term survival in any SHFT event as @sh00ter said you need a group of people with all different skill sets. Like security, medical, construction/engineering, and gunsmith/reloading. The rest of the people can fall into the helpers/apprentice for these people. These are only a few, but what I would consider the best to start a group with. All this is my opinion, and sure people will disagree, but I hope we never have to find out personally.

Latest posts

Top Bottom